Finding a new monitor

Being the generous (but poor) person in my family, I tend to give away my gear to them and adopt their old stuff because I don’t like to waste things. I recently parted ways with my monitor and have been using a laptop screen that isn’t even the original but a used replacement part, on which everything is washed out, etc.

Which brings me to this post. If I were to consider buying a new monitor, what would this community recommend? Requirements:

1. Inexpensive. I guess it could be used, but I don’t know how reliable that could be, or how honest people are.

2. Extremely easy to color manage. I don’t have any hands on experience profiling and color managing hardware.

3. Suitable for post-processing and relevant to the stuff we do and talk about on discuss.

4. Compatible with multiple OSs.

I think #1 would be the defining criterion. At this point, I am just thinking. I may not necessarily buy anything (for years lol).

Where do you live?

1 Like

I too would like to know this… :wink:
No promises…

I ask where you live because in the U.S. at least, Dell has sales on its monitors that can lead to quite deep discounts. There are also some good deals on refurbished models, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/122858751683

Dell PremierColor monitors are generally good value. While their quality is typically not like the top-end monitors from companies like NEC, they are far cheaper, and for all but the most demanding buyers, perfectly adequate.

I have two Dell 2412s and I really like them. There were about $300 USD a piece.

I have provided some breadcrumbs along the way but, if you would like to know where I live, I can tell you it is at the capital :wink:. Answers here:

Edit: nope. The YouTube link doesn’t appear to work in the post for me: https://youtu.be/IWpThrDfQEI. PS I figure out the source of the problem. I set Firefox’s block list setting to strict.

Another fun quote:

And it’s a startling revelation. Canada, getting ready to invade, has amassed 90 per cent of its population along its border with the United States. The longest unprotected border in the world, stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to that other one.

Back on topic. ATM, I am willing to pay less than what you have recommended so far. Also, everything is more expensive here. (Camera gear has gone way up.) I guess I am looking for more of a budget monitor. The one I gave away was a LG 22MP67HQ-P. To take my query down a few notches, maybe recommend features and aspects that I should look for in a monitor.

It should be IPS, LED-lit, and at least 24" and 1080p.

The dell ultrasharp 2415 is on sale on amazon US for $220. I couldn’t seem to find out how mixh that LG is, but at $220 you could still grab a display calibration unit off eBay too.

1 Like

I have the model just behind @paperdigits, Dell U2413 PremierColor. If the prices on those panels are down around $220USD, it’s a nice panel.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of buying calibration hardware to mail around the community as needed. @paperdigits already bought color targets if anyone needs them mailed to them also, btw.

On Amazon here a U2415 is +US$130 after taxes. For half that, I am able to get a 24" LG but only at 72% sRGB coverage and not Dell’s 99%. Anyway, I am only window shopping at this point. Spent a fortune repairing my parents’ house (flooding, etc. :cry:) and van, so nothing left for a shiny new monitor for at least a year or so.

PS In the meantime, my PlayRaw entries and comments will be looking mighty artistic to folks with awesome screens. If you are retiring a monitor or know someone who is, give me a shout :wink:.