Flatpak and OpenCL

A short while ago, I updated to Kubuntu 20.04. And with the OBS distribution not supporting 20.04, yet, I installed the flatpak version instead.

Initially, I had some issues with the lensfun database being out of date, but we found a workaround for that.

Also, my OpenCL stack (rocm) would not compile in the beginning, but this has since been resolved. But when starting a development version of Darktable for a different reason, I noticed that the Flatpak version does not seem to pick up my OpenCL stack, whereas the development version and the stock-Ubuntu version does.

Does anyone know why the Darktable Flatpak does not find the rocm OpenCL library?

Not sure if there is an AMD driver, but the nvidia driver installs like this:

flatpak install flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-390.116

1 Like

Note that nvidia-390 is the driver for older cards

Yes that is just an example… You need to find the correct one for your hardware.

I see. Being that rocm is still very much in-development and Ubuntu-LTS only, there is probably little chance for there being a flatpak yet.

Oh well, thank you for your help. I can stick with Ubuntu’s 3.0.1 until the OBS adds support for 20.04.

Hi,

not sure what 20.04 version you are looking for.
Looking at Install package graphics:darktable / darktable :slight_smile:

OBS provides in the “Latest Release” section darktable 3.0.2 package for xUbuntu 20.04 : https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/graphics:/darktable/xUbuntu_20.04/amd64/darktable_3.0.2-1.1_amd64.deb

Oh happy day! Many thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for this. I’ve been looking forward to seeing opencl working with flatpaks for a while - great to see that at least with nvidia this is already supported.
I’ve used AMD/rocm opencl for years until recently and this was unsupported. I guess this is another side benefit of moving to nvidia.

Very side benefit :wink: I’m not sure what it’d take to get the and.opencl working for flatpak… But could it be harder than nvidia? No clue!