Fun with Summed Area Tables

Here is my attempt, with G’MIC.

The command foo below does the same kind of box blurring with box sizes that increases horizontally and vertically along the X and Y axes.

# $1 = min radius, $2 = max radius.
foo : skip ${1=1},${2=max(w,h)/10}
  repeat $! l[$>]
    100%,100%,1,2,"round([ lerp($1,$2,(x/w)^3), lerp($1,$2,(y/h)^3) ])"
    +cumulate[0] xy
    f[0] "*
      const W = w - 1; const H = h - 1;
      px(X,Y) = I(#2,X,Y,0,c);
      T(X,Y)=Y>1?px(X,Y-1):Y*px(X,0);
      B(X,Y)=Y<H?px(X,Y):(1+Y-H)*px(X,H)-(Y-H)*px(X,H-1);
      G(X,Y)=X<W?B(X,Y):(1+X-W)*B(W,Y)-(X-W)*B(W-1,Y);
      D(X,Y)=X>1?T(X-1,Y):X*T(0,Y);
      E(X,Y)=X<W?T(X,Y):(1+X-W)*T(W,Y)-(X-W)*T(W-1,Y);
      F(X,Y)=X>1?B(X-1,Y):X*B(0,Y);

bw = i(#1,x,y,0,0);                     # Horizontal size of blur window
      bh = i(#1,x,y,0,1);                     # Vertical size of blur window
      bw1 = int(bw/2); bh1 = int(bh/2);       # Left/Top half-sizes
      bw0 = bw - bw1 - 1; bh0 = bh - bh1 - 1; # Right/Bottom half-sizes
      x0 = x - bw0;
      y0 = y - bh0;
      x1 = x + bw1;
      y1 = y + bh1;
      (G(x1,y1) + D(x0,y0) - E(x1,y0) - F(x0,y1))/(bw*bh)"
    k[0]
  endl done

It can be used like this:

$ gmic sp colorful tic +foo , toc
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-1./ Input sample image 'colorful' (1 image 800x800x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ Initialize timer.
[gmic]-2./ Elapsed time: 0.093 s.

For a large image (8000x8000) :

$ gmic sp colorful,8000 tic +foo , toc
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-1./ Input sample image 'colorful' (1 image 8000x8000x1x3).
[gmic]-1./ Initialize timer.
[gmic]-2./ Elapsed time: 8.538 s.
[gmic]-2./ Display images [0,1] = 'colorful, colorful_c1'.

Timings look quite good to me.

EDIT : edited to better manage boundary conditions (by extending the image with Neumann conditions before processing).

EDIT2: Used @garagecoder trick to manage boundary conditions of SAT. Very efficient stuff !

1 Like

In case you missed this from earlier, I added a g’mic github wiki page about how I’ve done the Neumann boundary without extending the image.

You obviously have a nice machine there, even the first version took 38s on mine! I deliberately use a very old core2 for filter writing so I get a feel for “real world” usage though…

1 Like

Ah sorry, I’ve missed that indeed.
I’ll check and try to make a better version with your boundary tricks!

1 Like

deintegim2 is just a quick hack to answer the question: what is the quality and performance from a very simple implementation of window sizes driven by an image, with integer window sizes?

My conclusion is: quality and performance are acceptable.

Next question: what is the change in quality and performance for non-integer window sizes, using four-point lerf at each window corner?

I find it hard to see any benefit of fractional window sizes if all we need is a blurred image. I think that only becomes significant when used as a portion of some other filter. Something involving local gradients or variance perhaps? It’s difficult to predict… I like to include it just for completeness (it’s easier to remove it than add).

Performance wise, quite a large hit when done “manually” in a 64bit gmic buffer but probably not too terrible when compiled.

Tested your command on an 8K tiger. Takes about 1 min.

gmic sp tiger,8000 +f 1 tic +gcd_boxfilter_local.. . toc rm.. -

In terms of gcd_boxfilter_local_hp, it stops working at 8K with the error ouput

*** Error in ./gcd_boxfilter_local_hp/*repeat/*local/ *** Command 'fill': [instance(0,0,0,0,0000000000000000,non-shared)] gmic<double>::assign(): Failed to allocate memory (31.9 Gio) for image (4283106549,1,1,1).

I tried 4K but it stops without an error !

May need debugging.

With 4k I get this error:
[gmic] G'MIC encountered a fatal error. Please submit a bug report, at: https://github.com/dtschump/gmic/issues

On my Mac 8k shows the same fatal error, not with 4k!

@garagecoder

Using gcd_boxfilter_local (or afre_box0):

gmic sp tiger / {iM} +sqr repeat 2 l[$>] +f 3 gcd_boxfilter_local.. . rm. endl done
min = 0.0112847     max = 1.00174
min = -0.000434028  max = 1.00087

Using gcd_boxfilter_local_hp:

min = 0.0120968     max = 1
min = 0.000146329   max = 1

In the first case, the outputs of the command aren’t within the domain of the input: lower mins and higher maxes. (Means don’t appear to be affected, at least not in this example.)

Yup, side effect of the limited precision. I don’t like to “hide” the error with a cut because that might not fit every scenario. Perhaps I’ll add a second parameter for cut/normalise/nothing. In the meantime, better to either wrap it inside another command or just plain copy the code and amend (or just do a cut on each use where needed).

@afre: Did you intend a link to be in your post?

Yes, strange, it looks like a link, but it actually links to nothing.

Sorry, doubled the parentheses by mistake, which preserved the formatting but dropped the link. Have fun with the integral histogram paper.

Ah, yes, I have read that paper, and can see it could be useful (see Integral images: locating an approximate sub-image) but haven’t taken it further.

For that, I usually compute the Phase correlation (using FFT), and it works pretty well.

Oh, I was thinking of something else. A summed table where the information stored are vectors of histograms. That way histograms can be retrieved of any sized window. Applications can be adaptive tone mapping and faster histograms and scopes in raw processors.

Integral histograms are interesting, but heavy consumers of memory. If your main image has WxH pixels, and you want B buckets in your histogram, you need B summed area tables each with WxH entries. For some purposes, 16 buckets would be sufficient. But if you want 256 buckets or 65536 buckets … yikes, you will need masses of memory.

[The forum says “This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 20% of the replies here”, and implies I am talking too much. Yeah, I’ve been accused of that IRL.]

I am looking into no more than 16 buckets on luminance, on which we could smooth (interpolate). (Imagine 65536 x 3 x XXMP :exploding_head:. Someday but never on my decrepit laptop.)

Just a guideline. Your comments aren’t trivial or redundant and don’t exceed the blabbermouth @garagecoder. :rofl: Anyway, that is the cost of participating in my threads. Mine, including PlayRaws, typically see tumbleweeds.

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle @garagecoder Any progress on debugging posts 57-59?

From my side, I don’t see any bug here. The G’MIC interpreter exits cleanly by saying there is not enough memory available for the requested command.
There are no crash or whatever.