General advice required. Photo Management & Occasional Raw Processing From Scratch in Linux

I am a retired IT pro, an amateur photographer, relatively new (10 yrs) to digital, and an exclusive Linux user. With an increasing number of images I am looking to re-catalog all from scratch and store them on my NAS on my existing network. I would like advice based on the following requirements.

I now shoot RAW+JPG with a Fuji X-T20. The resulting JPGs are so good that most often either no post processing or a little attention in GIMP is all that’s needed. Occasionally I would like to process some images from the RAW data.

The plan is to catalog in a searchable way my large collection of images (perhaps in Digikam which I have used) in a way that I can choose to edit either the JPG or RAW file and keep the result linked to the original photo. I am aware that Rawtherapee can edit RAW and that Darktable can also catalog and manage a database. I have no idea if/how these pieces of software can work together or if my idea of using Digikam with another app for editing is a practical solution.

My requirement is, I presume, fundamental and common. As a Linux user my options are limited. I am hoping that someone out there can advise me on (a) practical and simple(ish) solution(s).

Many thanks in anticipation.

PS I hope I have placed this request in the correct section. I have also searched and found posts that relate to some of the issues but found none in a comprehensive way.

That’s what I do (digikam for managing and mostly Rawtherapee for editing) and it works well and meets all the requirements you stated. You say you used digikam already - what makes you ask, i.e. what didn’t work how you wanted it to before?

Hi @john-summit and welcome!

Thie might give you a few good ideas:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Hi Simon. Many thanks for your response. My first experience with Digikam was early in my digital experience. I did not organise my albums well and did not use tags or any attributes etc.
The earlier version of DK I used also presented some issues regarding the NAS. Apart from that I became more impressed with DK as my understanding grew. I concluded that starting again was a good plan along with discarding many of my images.

In the meantime we have spent several years building an off-grid Passivhaus - a full time project. We now live in the new house. It is now time to enjoy my retirement and start again on this project hopefully getting it right first time.

I’m not sure whether DK or Darktable has the better database system but I do like the principle of keeping things simple (I was a software designer). The idea of a program designed specifically to manage and search images - like DK - and a separate application for RAW processing when required, appeals.

I’m confident that DK provides the management features I need. If my memory is correct, DK also keeps & presents RAW & JPG copies of the same image effectively as 1 linked item. I wanted to be sure that a derivative (JPG or TIFF etc) achieved from the RAW data was also associated with the original image in the same way thus keeping things simple. From what I have read I am assuming there is little to choose between RT & DT as RAW editors so only how they link with DK is of any concern.

It sounds like you’ve achieved my aims and have probably answered my question.

Once again, many thanks.

@john-summit Welcome to the forum! Stick with what you know. If it is digiKam, then start with it. Personally, I don’t catalogue. My advice from the top of my mind:

• Familiarize yourself with the metadata. Each app does things a little differently. Make sure that you write to the more common tags and that you don’t overwrite the wrong ones. That way, if you decide to move your catalogue to darktable, e.g., you can be sure that the tags such as for stars would be transferred properly.

• Learn how to use exiftool or exiv2. These are command line tools that most of the tagging is based. They can read / write / modify tags and are good for batch editing. Since they are more flexible and powerful than the GUI apps, you have to be careful not to make changes that might break your files or directories.

• Given the above two points. You need to make sure that you have a good backup and archival system going. You worked in IT, so I am sure that you already have something going or in mind.

• Sure you could set up something and then sit back and relax, but what is the fun in that? I love to tinker and so I download and fire up a different FLOSS app once in a while to see what is new and how I could improve my existing workflow.