Get the ranking file property into RawTherapee

Hi, I’ve just installed RawTherapee the first time and it seems rather promising. I wonder wether the following issue can be resolved:

I’d like to get the ranking (0 to 5 stars) from my images in RawTherapee.

I’m using an application from my NAS to rank my photographed images. I can also see this ranks in, e.g., Windows Explorer or Adobe products. Unfortunately RawTherapee does not show the ranking in the File Browser tab.

Is there a way to achieve this? RT5.3 / 64bit / Windows10

Thanks,
Ralph

Can you share a file or files that have ranking? Is it an XMP side car file or is it written into the image metadata? Or something else?

I was trying to find out where exactly the rank property is stored but I didn’t succeed.

01_explorer

The property is shown in Windows Explorer but it isn’t in RawTherapee.

02_rawtherapee

The ZIP-file containins the images with rank property.

images.zip (730.0 KB)

BTW: I resized the images in the ZIP-file with RawTherapee and the newly created files do have the rank property from the original file, so to me it seems the information is stored in the file itself.

Thanks!

exiftool reports:

Rating                          : 1
Rating Percent                  : 1

So it appears the rating is stored in the EXIF data of the output file.

RawTherapee stores color labels and ranks in the .pp3 files. It would be nice if it could read this info from Exif and XMP tags if an entry in the PP3 does not exist.

Oh, I also filed an issue on that. Sorry, didn’t know about XMP.

No problem, I merged the issues.

@Morgan_Hardwood
I have started developing such a feature but I have a problem that when I open a new directory I can see the EXIF rating (as stars) but then when I open another directory and reopen the old one again- the stars are not assigned.

What is the proposed way to discuss about it?
Any Slack channel or something?

(Sorry for OT, but it may bring the solution… :slight_smile: )

@Piotr_Lewicki as per our contribution guidelines, please open an issue in GitHub and discuss it there.