GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

I think what really excites me about this is, once I get the hang of PhF, this hopefully will be a one-stop shop for all my photography needs.

To be able to download one appimage that has three apps built in (Gimp, PhF, Gmic) to cover a decent percentage of photography needs under FOSS… Well! It’ll be so much easier to explain the benefits of FOSS to a PS/LR obsessed photo community!

The benefits to new users as well, not having to download and try multiple programs… In essence, a one-stop shop.

No disrespect to the developers of other software, your programs really are awesome. I’ve used them and loved them, BUT… all your needs, working together in one appimage? Simply awesome!

Hi all!
This Appimage looks promising. I would like to test it, but I don’t want to register or sing up in dropbox or any other google related service. Is there any other way of getting the file?
Thanks anyway.
Marci

Yes @Marci, I just clicked under the nag sign in screen. I had to choose the ‘download directly’ option.

Hope that helps!

@Carmelo_DrRaw, slightly OT, but still relevant, is PhF cross platform? IE, does it work with OSX and Windows as well, or just Linux? Following on from that, if it is cross platform, and depending of this appimage’s success, could this be rolled out cross platform too?

Cheers.

Wow! That’s efficiency and speed!
I hadn’t seen the last line in the tiny screen of my netbook.
I’ve already downloaded it.
Thanks; I’m looking forward to testing it.
Bye

The Dropbox non-registered download is intentionally difficult, it took me several tries to figure it out as well!

@Marci the drop box hosting is only temporary, for testing the experimental version. Once it will be decently reliable (maybe it is already?) it will be hosted in Partha’s website, and maybe elsewhere as well

@Fotonut PhF is cross platform. Similar all-in-one packages with gimp+gmic+PhF are already provided by Partha for windows and osx. They additionally contain the Nik plugins for gimp, which don’t run under Linux. So at the end we will have all-in-one packages for all platforms hosted in the same place… the way it should be for non-geeks :wink:

I think this an unavoidable price to pay… as far as i understand it, the appimage is a compressed disk image. Each time it is launched the system needs to uncompressed the image and mount it via a loop back device. It’s like running an application under osx always from the DMG. Maybe there is/will be a way to copy the appimage to an “Applications” folder under Linux, but I would not bother with that for the moment…

First of all, great work.
It looks and feels much much nicer now!!!

Maybe it is my pc (Ubuntu 16.04), but I cant size Gimp properly, or even at all.
It is only hide or full screen, as in the picture to see. But fullscreen is the wrong word, because some of the lower half is missing. I cant choose any color or delete a layer.

I looked in the git master branch but couldnt find the errors there.

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

As I mentioned earlier, the first run of the appimage will create a Gimp profile for itself in ~/.config/config and then copy over all of your existing Gimp 2.8 profile. Probably odd size and layout comes from there.

If you temporarily disable (rename) the Gimp 2.8 profile you get a clean Gimp 2.9.5 profile which looks like this.

800 pix high, just about fits on a regular (768) laptop display.

Otherwise, the appimage is the same as any other Gimp, go to Edit → Preferences → Window Management and reset to default.

1 Like

I’ve noticed, even with PhF installed independantly, Darktable launches whenever you try to open a RAW file in this version of Gimp. Anyone else have this prob? I would have thought PhF would have launched instead, or am I missing something?

I will try to reproduce that, and let you know.

Indeed, I think a little slowness when starting is the expectation. Krita is like this too. I don’t mind, I still remember wait up to several minutes for an application to load and launch!

@paperdigits @Fotonut @rich2005 @Mondayman @Marci Do you think it would make sense and/or be better to have the appimage configuration in a configuration directory different from the default $HOME/.config/GIMP/2.9?

For example $HOME/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9

There is currently a bug in the way the configuration directory is searched, but while I fix the bug I would like to see if a separate directory would be better…

1 Like

I’d like it to stay under ~/.config, I don’t like my home directory littered with too much stuff.

Yes, I agree. What I am proposing is to use a different folder under ~/.config, or actually under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

Ah, in that case I like GIMP-appimage

I Think it would be great if it were independent from the 2.8 installation (or any git one you may have).

This is running well on Fedora 24. The ORF file opens directly in PhotoFlow for me.

~./config/config is a bit weird but does not really matter providing the user knows where to find your Gimp 2.9 profile. Easy enough if you look in Edit → Preferences → Folders

On an old laptop using Kubuntu and gimp-edge ppa installation, the 2.9 profile is ~/.config/GIMP so for consistency that is favourite.

However, this machine, also Kubuntu I already have a Gimp 2.9.3 appimage from
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/ with a profile ~/.config/GIMP so from my point of view a separate ~/.config/GIMP-appimage prevents conflicts.

End of the day, does not really matter, when you get tired of delving into say, ~/.config/config/2.9/plug-ins/ to install a plugin, set up a folder in your home partition and add that as a plugin folder.

I have prepared a new version of the GIMP+gmic+PhF appimage package, which can be found here: Dropbox - gimp-2.9.5.glibc2.15-x86_64-20160807.AppImage - Simplify your life

The main improvements with respect to the first version are the following:

• the gimp configuration directory is now set to ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage
  • some bugs on the photoflow side have been fixed
  • photoflow is now always used for RAW processing. At some point, Gimp will hopefully have a mechanism to choose the preferred RAW loading plug-in, for example an interface to enable/disable individual plug-ins…
  • the G’MIC film emulation LUTs are now included by default in the AppImage, and can be used out-of-the-box

Feedback appreciated as usual!