GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

Yes sir!

EDIT: Works on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with the PF AppImage

EDIT II: @Carmelo_DrRaw here is the terminal output from my debian 8.8 machine on Linux hostname 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.43-2 (2017-04-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux and glibc-source/stable 2.19-18+deb8u9

First - No Python Support - I am sure that that can be fixed.

nufraw is the plugin I use in my homespun 'buntu appimage. Dark theme makes the occasional setting difficult to see but easily fixed with a lighter theme. Opens in Gimp as a 16 bit image. http://i.imgur.com/B20Xul1.jpg

One peculiarity of nufraw is it prevents some .svg (not all) from opening. Not a problem for photographers but as a more general tool could be a nuisance. http://i.imgur.com/KMhpfHF.jpg Same goes for pdf, no ghostscript support http://i.imgur.com/clyTqQH.jpg

Other linux, a quick run in AntiX (debian sid) and it looks fine.

edit: almost forgot. A couple of external plugins (compiled) that work BIMP and FFT

1 Like

Hi @Carmelo_DrRaw, I managed to get this working great on Antergos/Arch, but now it doesn’t launch. The only Antergos update which come through was for nvidia, so I doubt that was the cause.

I’ve deleted the appimage folder under .config, relaunched, still the same problem. Deleted appimage and downloaded a new one. Still the same problem.

Here’s the output when launched via terminal. I hope it helps… It’s rather long.

EDIT: It contained too many characters to post, so attaching it in the text file instead.

Thanks in advance.

gimp.txt (134.5 KB)

Hi! The problem you are having is once again related to gdk-pixbuf… I am currently trying to fix this once for all, and I’ll report back here about my progresses.

Have you tried with older versions of the AppImage? You can find them under pixls.us/files.

Thanks!

@Carmelo_DrRaw

I can use the new appimage in my Ubuntu 16.10 machine.

But I do have a problem. While I can open raw files from GIMP using nufraw and photoflow, the darktable plugin doesn’t seem to work (it’s not available under “preference=>image import” in GIMP), although I can find the plugin file “file-darktable” in the temporary directory /tmp/.mount_92X3K8/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins

Do you know what could be cause of the problem? Do I need to export the variable like when I use the photoflow plugin?? i.e. run export PHOTOFLOW_PATH=$HOME/Downloads/PhotoFlow.AppImage

For the record, I did try to run export DARKTABLE_PATH=/usr/bin/darktable and then GIMP but with no success.

Thanks.

Yes, the version from 2016-10 “alterative” works.

Nope, I tried the last appimage where photoflow was included, same problem.

I managed to get DT and Gimp 2.9.5 working in the meantime, so happy to wait for a fix in the meantime.

Thanks again!

@Fotonut @paperdigits: could you please try this new experimental version on Debian and Antergos?

It has no plug-ins for the moment, and the size is quite bigger than usual… however, it should hopefully fix the issues related to gdk-pixbuf, by bundling the library inside the AppImage…

I tested it on a DebianDog LiveCD and it worked, while previous versions where failing on that system.

Thanks!

1 Like

Success on Antergos!

Very slow on first start up (2-3 mins to launch), but lightning fast to launch after that.

There will be some additional ‘code’ in the text file below, which was generated after the appimage had launched when I went into preferences to check something out.

Whatever you did, you’re definitely on the right track, great work!

Thanks.

BTW, How do I add the PF plugin to an installed version of GIMP 2.9.5, using an installed version of PF?

Cheers!

gimp-experimental.txt (308.0 KB)

Working on Debian 8 as well. [quote=“Fotonut, post:370, topic:1959”]
How do I add the PF plugin to an installed version of GIMP 2.9.5, using an installed version of PF?
[/quote]

See this post.

Thanks for that @paperdigits,

though that’s specifically for appimages - not already installed versions as per my post.

I need a script for already installed versions of PF & Gimp 2.9.5. I’ve tried various combinations, but not being a coder I’m completely lost!

Thanks anyway.

It’d work the same way with an installed version of Photoflow, something like this:

$ which photoflow
/usr/bin/photoflow
$ export PHOTOFLOW_PATH=/usr/bin/photoflow
$ ./path/to/gimp.appimage

Thanks!

So if both apps were installed, it might look like this?

which photoflow /usr/bin/photoflow export PHOTOFLOW_PATH=/usr/bin/photoflow
$ ./user/bin/gimp-2.9

Well, that didn’t work…

[fotonut@fotonut ~] which photoflow /usr/bin/photoflow [fotonut@fotonut ~] export PHOTOFLOW_PATH=/usr/bin/photoflow
[fotonut@fotonut ~] which gimp-2.9 /usr/bin/gimp-2.9 [fotonut@fotonut ~] ./usr/bin/gimp-2.9
bash: ./usr/bin/gimp-2.9: No such file or directory
[fotonut@fotonut ~]$

Any other ideas?

The code for the photoflow plugin in that manner in gimp is relatively new, so I don’t know if your version of gimp would have that code or not.

My commands worked for me with the latest AppImage and PF AppImage.

@Fotonut @paperdigits
The latest photoflow plug-in works more or less like the Darktable one: it invokes the photoflow executable and loads the returned image into GIMP.

Here is a quick tutorial that should allow you to install the PhFGimp plug-in on your system:

• you need to install few development packages: TIFF, GIMP and LCMS2. I have no idea how this is done in Antergos…

• get the source code from github:

git clone https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhFGimp.git

• compile the code

cd PhFGimp
    mkdir -p build
    cd build
    cmake -DBABL_FLIPS_DISABLED=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …
    make

• copy the plug-ins into the GIMP plug-ins folder:

cp -a file-photoflow phf_gimp ~/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins

You also need a recent version of photoflow. If the photoflow executable is in your path (like it seems to be your case) then there is not need to explicitly set the PHOTOFLOW_PATH environment variable.

Let me know if something is not clear…

Thanks @Carmelo_DrRaw.

So after following your clear instructions above, I can confirm that Photoflow is now available under Filters, But unfortunately it doesn’t show up under preferences/Raw Image Importer, meaning I can’t choose Phf to edit my RAW’s when I launch Gimp.

In my local plugins folder there are two files, ‘file-photoflow’ and ‘phf_gimp’, if that helps any.

Any further help would be very welcome. We’re almost there I think!

[fotonut@fotonut ~] cd Downloads/PhFGimp-master [fotonut@fotonut PhFGimp-master] mkdir -p build
[fotonut@fotonut PhFGimp-master] cd build [fotonut@fotonut build] cmake -DBABL_FLIPS_DISABLED=OFF -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …
– The CXX compiler identification is GNU 6.3.1
– The C compiler identification is GNU 6.3.1
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
– Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ – works
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
– Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting CXX compile features
– Detecting CXX compile features - done
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
– Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc – works
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
– Detecting C compile features
– Detecting C compile features - done
– Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version “0.29.2”)
– Checking for module ‘lcms2’
– Found lcms2, version 2.8
– Found TIFF: /usr/lib/libtiff.so (found version “4.0.7”)
– Checking for module ‘gexiv2’
– Found gexiv2, version 0.10.5
– GEXIV2_INCLUDE_DIRS: /usr/include/glib-2.0/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
– GEXIV2_LIBRARY_DIRS:
– Checking for module ‘gimp-2.0>=2.9.0’
– Found gimp-2.0, version 2.9.5
– Checking for module ‘gimpui-2.0>=2.9.0’
– Found gimpui-2.0, version 2.9.5
– GIMP_2_9_CFLAGS: -pthread-I/usr/include/gimp-2.0-I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0-I/usr/include/libpng16-I/usr/include/cairo-I/usr/include/pixman-1-I/usr/include/freetype2-I/usr/include/libpng16-I/usr/include/harfbuzz-I/usr/include/glib-2.0-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include-I/usr/include/freetype2-I/usr/include/harfbuzz-I/usr/include/libdrm-I/usr/include/libpng16-I/usr/include/gegl-0.3-I/usr/include/json-glib-1.0-I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/-I/usr/include/glib-2.0-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include-I/usr/include/babl-0.1
– GIMP_2_9_INCLUDE_DIRS: /usr/include/gimp-2.0/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/usr/include/libpng16/usr/include/cairo/usr/include/pixman-1/usr/include/freetype2/usr/include/libpng16/usr/include/harfbuzz/usr/include/glib-2.0/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include/usr/include/freetype2/usr/include/harfbuzz/usr/include/libdrm/usr/include/libpng16/usr/include/gegl-0.3/usr/include/json-glib-1.0/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0//usr/include/glib-2.0/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include/usr/include/babl-0.1
– GIMP_2_9_LIBRARY_DIRS:
– GIMP_2_9_LDFLAGS: -lgimp-2.0-lgimpmath-2.0-lgimpconfig-2.0-lgimpcolor-2.0-lgimpbase-2.0-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0-lcairo-lgegl-0.3-lgegl-npd-0.3-lm-Wl,–export-dynamic-lgmodule-2.0-pthread-ljson-glib-1.0-lgio-2.0-lgobject-2.0-lglib-2.0-lbabl-0.1
– Configuring done
– Generating done
– Build files have been written to: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/build
[fotonut@fotonut build] make Scanning dependencies of target phf_gimp [ 25%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/phf_gimp.dir/phf_gimp.cc.o /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc: In function ‘gint load_tiff(TIFF*, GeglBuffer*)’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:481:60: warning: narrowing conversion of ‘tile_width’ from ‘guint32 {aka unsigned int}’ to ‘gint {aka int}’ inside { } [-Wnarrowing] GeglRectangle tile = { x, y, tile_width, tile_height }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:481:60: warning: narrowing conversion of ‘tile_height’ from ‘guint32 {aka unsigned int}’ to ‘gint {aka int}’ inside { } [-Wnarrowing] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc: In function ‘void query()’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:555:82: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] har *argv[] = { (gchar*)(phf_binary.c_str()), "--version", NULL }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc: In function ‘void run(const gchar*, gint, const GimpParam*, gint*, GimpParam**)’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:788:33: warning: ‘GimpParasite* gimp_image_parasite_find(gint32, const gchar*)’ is deprecated: Use 'gimp_image_get_parasite' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations] GimpParasite *icc_parasite = gimp_image_parasite_find( image_id, "icc-profile" ); ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimp.h:47:0, from /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:5: /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpimage.h:95:16: note: declared here GimpParasite * gimp_image_parasite_find (gint32 image_ID, ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:788:83: warning: ‘GimpParasite* gimp_image_parasite_find(gint32, const gchar*)’ is deprecated: Use 'gimp_image_get_parasite' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations] pParasite *icc_parasite = gimp_image_parasite_find( image_id, "icc-profile" ); ^ In file included from /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimp.h:47:0, from /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:5: /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimpimage.h:95:16: note: declared here GimpParasite * gimp_image_parasite_find (gint32 image_ID, ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/phf_gimp.cc:877:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ [ 50%] Linking CXX executable phf_gimp [ 50%] Built target phf_gimp Scanning dependencies of target file-photoflow [ 75%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/file-photoflow.dir/file-photoflow.cc.o /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc: In function ‘void query()’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:97:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:102:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:102:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:108:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:108:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:108:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:108:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:115:3: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:120:82: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] har *argv[] = { (gchar*)(phf_binary.c_str()), "--version", NULL }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc: In function ‘gint32 load_image(const gchar*, GimpRunMode, GError**)’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:335:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc: In function ‘gint32 load_thumbnail_image(const gchar*, gint, gint*, gint*, GError**)’: /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] }; ^ /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] /home/fotonut/Downloads/PhFGimp-master/file-photoflow.cc:430:5: warning: ISO C++ forbids converting a string constant to ‘gchar* {aka char*}’ [-Wwrite-strings] [100%] Linking CXX executable file-photoflow [100%] Built target file-photoflow [fotonut@fotonut build] cp -a file-photoflow phf_gimp ~/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins

Could you try to run gimp from the command line and post the console messages you are getting?

I would also need the output of

photoflow --version

[fotonut@fotonut ~] photoflow --version this is photoflow 0.2.8 [fotonut@fotonut ~]

Thanks for following through on this @Carmelo_DrRaw. Much appreciated.

Then your photoflow should be recent enough to be properly invoked by the plug-in… I suggest you just try and see if it works. If not, we’ll dig further.

My pleasure!!! :smiley: