GIMP 2.99 released

GTK3 based UI, multi-layer selection and much more

12 Likes

Here’s a Table of Contents for the relevant sections:

And of course, @darix has packages available here:

2 Likes

Oh and while you are testing this. Please help all the plugin authors to port the plugins to the new python3 based gimp. The more you help them. The faster we get those ported, the more smooth the gimp 3 release will be.

Oh and help the gimp team with porting too.

Nice, it’s getting closer to the start of non destructive editing goal. After that, I don’t need anything else :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, oh, oh as I have longed !

thanks for the share

8 Likes

Will GIMP have vector layer and vector operators like Illustator and Inkscape ?

It will have it according to roadmap.

When will this be ?

I do not know. If you need vector layer in a raster graphic app now. I can only direct you to Krita.

Release highlights:

Usability fixes across various parts of GIMP
New Paint Select tool in the playground
New generic dialog generation and metadata support API for export plug-ins
Multi-threaded JPEG2000 decoding
Initial documentation on porting plug-ins to 3.0
2 Likes

“When it’s ready” is the best you can get. There isn’t anybody working on this right now.

openSUSE and Fedora packages can be found here Install package graphics:gimp:master / gimp

GIMP 2.99.10 is great. Only issue I have that interface isn’t as responsive and fast.

2.99.12/13 is quite stable release.
Expected Milestone date for 2.99.14 is October 30th.

New expected Milestone date for 2.99.14 is November 13th.

What’s the expectation date of Gimp 3?

There is no such thing at this time. GIMP 3.0 will be ready when it’s ready. The developers might announce a release date later, when the software is nearing completion, but the haven’t, and i don’t expect them to do that soon.

Don’t hold your breath, though. I don’t expect to see 3.0 in 2023.

I hope that new API in GIMP 3 will allow easier and faster to adopt new features and improve existent.