gimp plugins - Lce sometimes missing

[ Lce : Local contrast enhancement, abbreviated to fit in the editing window ]

I’ve been using G’MIC gimp plugins for a few months now, and the one plugin I almost-always use is Local contrast enhancement (I take three variants of the raw image at different EV adjustments and merge them - that generally makes things soft, sometimes so soft that it’s hard to see the detail). I build everything from source, and I build fresh systems every few months.

Until a few hours ago I’ve been compiling the gimp_gtk plugins, but after looking at Arch linux I finally found out how to build the qt version (download extra tarball, sed the .pro file, yadda, yadda).

Until yesterday I had thought all was fine - then I went back to the current build on my gimp-2.8 machine (2.0.2) and realised the Local contrast enhancement plugin was not in the menu - yet the same version on two gimp-2.9 machines was fine.

So, I’ve now built the 2.0.3 gimp_qt plugins on one of those 2.9 machines - and again the Local contrast enhancement plugin is not on the menu.

Any ideas, please ?

It should compile OK. This in Kubuntu 16.04 with Gimp 2.9.7 packages from the otto-meier/gimp-edge ppa

last compile was 2 weeks ago, and that had LCE. A brand new compile, just before writing this. It is 2.0.4_pre1709087

The start of the output is

rich@rich-VB:~$ git clone https://github.com/dtschump/gmic.git
Cloning into 'gmic'...
remote: Counting objects: 6292, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (119/119), done.
remote: Total 6292 (delta 136), reused 119 (delta 70), pack-reused 6103
Receiving objects: 100% (6292/6292), 59.81 MiB | 2.53 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4039/4039), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
rich@rich-VB:~$ git clone https://github.com/c-koi/gmic-qt.git
Cloning into 'gmic-qt'...
remote: Counting objects: 967, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (29/29), done.
remote: Total 967 (delta 9), reused 22 (delta 5), pack-reused 933
Receiving objects: 100% (967/967), 565.19 KiB | 758.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (664/664), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
rich@rich-VB:~$ make -C gmic/src CImg.h gmic_stdlib.h
make: Entering directory '/home/rich/gmic/src'
> Retrieve CImg Library...
 done!
> Retrieve G'MIC Standard Library...
 done!
make: Leaving directory '/home/rich/gmic/src'
rich@rich-VB:~$ cd gmic-qt
rich@rich-VB:~/gmic-qt$ /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qmake HOST=gimp
Project MESSAGE: GMIC PATH ../gmic/src
Project MESSAGE: Prerelease date is 170908
Project MESSAGE: Linux platform
Project MESSAGE: Target host software is GIMP
Project MESSAGE: OpenMP enabled
Project MESSAGE: Release build
rich@rich-VB:~/gmic-qt$ make

Obviously lots of output after that final ‘make’ but no warnings, nothing strange that I can recognise. Do you get anything like that?

In Gimp 2.9.7

I don’t download via git because I’ve already downloaded gmic-qt-2.0.0 and renamed it to gmic-qt (and then sedded its project file so that it doesn’t fail iommediately (-Ofast implies -ffast-match for at least gcc-7.2).

Apart from the many gcc warnings (gcc-7) I cannot see any errors.

I’ve also compared the logs from my earlier builds of 2.0.2 gmic_gtk (for 2.9 it was ok, for 2.8 it too missed Lce) and nothing different shows up between them.

I eventually found the place to query this (github) - it turns out that local contrast enhancement is defined only in the update file, which usualyy gets downlaoded on first use of the particular version - I did not realise that (there are more than 100 filters in that category by the look of it) - I had a message about failing to connect on at least one occasion, but I hadthought that was only to tell me about new major/minor versions (I had those messages when I was using 1.7 and 2.0 came out).

Possibly I picked a bad time for my first use (overnight, maybe server was doing its housekeeping). Running the update manually (button at the bottom of hte g’mic plugin screen) solved it.