GMIC Error when using Seamless Blend.

I’m new to using image editing software. I know nothing about scripting. I downloaded Partha’s build of GIMP a few weeks ago and was using it without any problems. I went to use it again just a couple of days ago and started receiving an error when using seamless blend. I tried clean installing and am getting the same error.

" *** Error in ./fx_blend_seamless/*repeat/ *** Command ‘shift’: Invalid argument ‘,0,0’. "

Anyone know how a noob can fix this?

Please give us some version numbers… Of gimp, of gmic, what OS and version you’re using.

GIMP 2.10.18, GMIC 2.9, Win 7.
I downloaded the latest GIMP pack w/ plugins from Partha.com. Everything worked previously, and all of it still does from what I can tell… except for seamless edit.

That is strange. The Blend [seamless] filter is working for me (tried on Ubuntu Linux 19.10 with GIMP 2.10.8, and G’MIC 2.9.0).
No idea why it’s not working for you. Everyone else having the same problem ?

Just tested myself on Windows 10 (64 bit):
GIMP 2.10.18
G’MIC 2.9

Everything works fine on my Pc as regards this filter…

@Anonym Are you using 2.9.0 release proper or pre?

I presume it’s just me. Do you know what might cause this error?
I don’t recall changing any settings between the time that it worked and when it stopped working for me.

It could be interesting to get the images and filter settings to try reproducing the bug.
Is it possible to get them somewhere maybe ?

It happens with any images. I can just create a single new background and/or a layer and get the same error. What filter settings?

Take a screenshot like this. :wink: You can drag and drop images after making a few posts. Welcome to the forum BTW. :slight_smile:

PS It is possible that it is an issue with @partha’s package. I am not sure but I will ping him. In any case, it is a good idea to use 2.9.0 release instead of 2.9.0-pre, which seems to be what Partha packaged judging from his screenshots.

It previously looked like the image that you posted - default settings.
I downloaded the release version using the installer… after loading modules (or whatever hitting the half circle is supposed to do) I’m getting a similar error on most of the options, and when clicking preview when on Seamless Blend GMIC will crash. :confused: Tried again after clearing out any residual gmic files from appdata and same thing.
I suppose I can try to uninstall everything, get a fresh copy of GIMP and GMIC and lose out on any of the other stuff from Partha’s for now, assuming that even works for me

Thanks for the welcome though.

I recommend Partha’s builds all the time; however, from time to time, I get issues when I replace the prepackaged G’MIC plugin. Recently, I started using the official GIMP releases and copying the official G’MIC release in the appropriate folder.

Image editing/manipulation has always been kind of intimidating for me to get into, so it was a godsend to find his packs. I was having a lot of fun just fooling around and everything was working smoothly, and one day it just wasn’t.
I didn’t replace the plugin until just now, because it seemed like it would be a good idea. lol

Fresh installs worked, so I’ll continue to mess around with just a few things for now, particularly gmic because I really enjoy it.
Once I feel that I’ve actually learned a bit more about the things that I have in front of me I’ll start building on this more, or maybe I’ll figure out the issue I was having with the Partha download.

This is really annonying. And I don’t have any explanations right now.
I’d be really interested to have more information. Reproducing the bug on my machine is probably the only way I can fix it (particularly right now, where I’m confined at home).
Would it be possible to open the plug-in, go to ‘Settings → Other → Output messages’ and set it to ‘Debug (log file)’ ? Then try to run your filter (so get the error), and send me the log file produced by the plug-in, that should be available in your folder %APPDATA%/gmic/ (if I remember well :slight_smile: ).

This could help understanding the problem! Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t know if that might be informative:
I have tried the Mac Partha Gimp 2.10.18 and g’mic plugin build 2.9, surprisingly in the list of functions in g’mic plugin there is the Test section missing, as well as my .gmic user file! I have no idea how that can happen!

By the way, the plugin seems to be 2.9.0_pre#200302 and there are 390 filters. Are faves counted too?

@afre Can you explain the process you used to upgrade to 2.9? When I tried to use the installer GMIC would crash. Should I use the zip and figure out the folder placement?

Sent the log to David (I think), and it wouldn’t hurt to try this in the meantime.

Yes, received it, thanks! That will be really helpful I think.
Will look at it more closely tonight.

Yes. In fact, I use the portable versions of GIMP and G’MIC. Once you figure out where to place the files, you are good to go.

@Anonym, after a first investigation of the log file, it looks like there is one particular function that is not working properly on your version of the plug-in.
Could you please open an image in GIMP, then open G’MIC-Qt, go to filter Various / Custom Code [Global] , remove the predefined code, and put this instead:

to {``${-gui_layer_pos}}

And tell us what happens.

An expected result is what I have on the following screenshot.

And in case you get nothing displaying with the filter above, I’d be really interested to have the result of the same filter, with this code:

to {n},0,0,24