G'MIC for OpenFX and Adobe plugins

@Lyle: The actual processing part can be ported to a PS plugin (and it is even easier using my bridge). The problem is that Photoshop does not have any native UI parameter controls for plugins, so it would have to be created by the developer, which is a lot of work. The G’MIC GIMP plugin uses the GTK library for its UI controls, that however is (as far as I know) not compatible for the Microsoft compilers that are required by the Photoshop SDK, so you can’t use the same technology there.

Sad for PS users then. lolol

:slight_smile:

Why sad ? They can download GIMP and install the G’MIC plug-in. All is free, they just can do that :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, David is right, GIMP already surpasses PS in some areas in my opinion and it is free and open-source, so no reason not to use it.
As for Photoshop, their plugin SDK is in need of a serious overhaul anyway, but that may just be my opinion :slight_smile:

Of course you are right David/Tobias. I just know they won’t. lol

:slight_smile:

So in this case, I suppose that’s not the kind of users I’d like to deal with. Great news! :wink:

Yes; they can be hard-headed, but not all of them are bad David. :slight_smile:

I am making lots of progress on the Adobe plugins as well as the OpenFX plugins for G’MIC!
Here is what you can look forward to in the new year:
G’MIC effects working as native plugins (Adobe or OpenFX) in various hosts!
Among the supported applications:

• The Foundry Nuke
  • Natron
  • Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve
  • Sony Vegas Pro
  • Adobe After Effects
  • Adobe Premiere Pro
  • etc. etc.

3 Likes

Hey Tobias that looks like a really great thing to try. Congrats!
Where can I get the OpenFX plug in for Natron from?

Hi Mondayman,
the OpenFX plugins are not yet released. I was hoping to put them out by the end of January 2016, but as usual, real life got in the way. If you are on Windows, I could provide you with a test build in the next week or so, for Linux I need to update my makefiles first.

Sorry, I only got Linux (Ubuntu).

But its ok. Take all the time you need.
And thanks for your effort Tobias. This will be really great, I am sure.

Just out of curiosity, will the effects take long to compute in a natron projekt?
I mean could it make Natron to an After Effects motion graphics competitor?

I hope I have a public test version for Ubuntu available shortly. At the moment, it is a little bit tricky to copy each file into the right location, I want to sort this out first to make it a bit more user friendly.
As for your other question: the OFX plugin is simply a bridge to native G’MIC, so the actual processing time is the same from Natron as it would be if you feed that data as a still frame into the G’MIC command line interface. There is a bit of overhead for converting back and forth the pixel data from Natron into a format that G’MIC can understand, but this is a constant factor directly dependent on the image dimensions.
I also have an implementation of G’MIC as an After Effects plugin, as you know. Actually they both use the same internal code, just the wrapper interface around them is adapted to the host.
many of the algorithms in G’MIC are not usable in realtime (like many other complex effects in video applications), but perform quite well in those hosts nevertheless.

Ah ok, thanks for the explaination Tobias.

I dont want to steal your time, because you have a things to do ;),
but apropo G’MIC and realtime, have you heard about ZArt and could it be usable in any way for faster processing with G’MIC/Natron?

It is from David Tschumperlé the main author of G’MIC and it uses the G’MIC image processing library.

I’ve made this video, but of course I haven’t used the full-res movie for the demonstration, otherwise it wouldn’t have run this fast. I believe the preview should be always done on a thumbnail with a reduced size (either a crop, or a downscaled version of the full-size image), just as it’s done in the GIMP plug-in.
I don’t know if this is easily possible in a OFX plug-in though.

Ah ok, thanks David.
It was just an idea.

As I said, there is a direct correlation between the iamge dimensions and the time it takes to process it :slightly_smiling:
So like David said, even in ZArt, for high-res video, it might also not run in realtime there as well.
So pretty much each compositing application like After Effects or Nuke or Natron will always start rendering in a low-resolution to get you a fast preview and then automatically increase the resolution to get a better output. In some applications the user can also define the preview/downscale factor. On render, everything is of course calculated in final resolution.
So it is not a feature the OFX plugin has to handle, as it will automatically get a downsized image frame from the host at first.

1 Like

I wish this same for kdenlive

Hello bazza,

I wish the same for Kdenlive.

Even though it is not what you are asking for on Linux you can already try some G’MIC filters with Flowblade 1.6 as well [1].
Flowblade is not Kdenlive but if you are just curious and you wish to give it a try… :slight_smile:

[1] flowblade/flowblade-trunk/docs/RELEASE_NOTES.md at master · jliljebl/flowblade · GitHub

Heading

@Silvio_Grosso How is it that I’ve never even heard of Flowblade? Just installed from the AUR and can’t wait to check it out. Thanks for the tip.:slight_smile:

That’s amazing, great program! Will there be any plans for the same in kdenlive though in the future? Or entirely flowblade, which is an amazing effort! Maybe better to concentrate on one thing?