G'MIC for OpenFX and Adobe plugins

Yes, of course I talked with David about it already :slight_smile:
And my intention is not to exploit it commercially (nor let others do it), so both sources and binaries will be distributed freely.

Hello Tobias,

Your last beta is fine everything works in the changes, for years I waited to see it in After. Thank you!

I tried the previous “bug” on this version, everything is stable so it doesnt appear anymore; but I just wanted to talk a little about the results this config can give. I tried this effect, generally at 64%, on a lot a different types of pictures and it’s much much better every time. It can’t be deleted, everything seems to be blurry after that (also tested on pro ultra hd renders found on the net, high dpi scans of paintings, pro photos, mate paintings, …). But the real advantage is that the effect is applied only on blurry parts on the picture. I took time to compare it with other FX of course (including Red giant Finisher, Sharpen, fake HDR effect, even with Denoiser 2 to really push the enhancement) the result is always better in one click with your old config than with several combos of FX, due to localized enhancement and a total different contrast behaviour; on video, I tested it on my own demo, some projects look just cinematic now.
Still have to mask out some parts (or adding Denoiser 2) in fast camera moves, and a real pain to render, but seing the results it’s a thing I’ll do to every of my projects from now on.

Just wanted to tell you, I think you have a real plug on his own here. :sunny:

Hi Pierre,
not sure which effect in particular you are talking about. Rodilius?
In any case, what you saw in the early version was the effect being applied with its default parameters, so that result should be identical or reproducable also with the latest release.

Hi Tobias,
I’m talking about the Rodilius effect, with the first beta you sent to me on this forum. Being unable to make changes with values, I put the Rodilius on an adjustment layer just to change his opacity (theorically it shouldn’t reduce the lines, just lower their opacity, but wanted to test anyway) and this doesn’t appear anymore with your new version, which is stable.
Putting the Rodilius on the adjustment layer, with the old config, gives the picture a much much better look (no common point with the native Rodilius effect).

Mmmh, strange. I justed tested old and new version, and no matter if I put them on an video layer or an adjustment layer, the output is identicaly in both builds - as it should be, as Rodilius gets applied with default values. In the first beta version, parameter changes would not have any effect, but the initial output when the effect is applied is identical.

Hi Tobias, great news !
Is there a web page I can link to from the G’MIC download page ?
Currently, I’m using https://github.com/NatronVFX/openfx-gmic, but is this up-to-date ?
Thanks !

No website yet, sorry.
I will create a subpage on my homepage next month though to put some info and a download link on there.
The NatronVFX page is not up-to-date

1 Like

2 years later, a new release :slight_smile:
http://reduxfx.com/gmic/rfx_gmic_plugin_0.6.1b.zip
This is based on the latest G’MIC 2.5.0 pre-release and contains a whole big bunch of bugfixes and extensions. It is still beta, it might still be unstable, but is now working much better than ever before! More than 300 effect plugins are available now in this package.
This is still Windows only (After Effects and OpenFX) and I haven’t added the latest sources yet to the community repository, as they need to be cleaned up to compile on other systems than mine, but I thought some people might check out the binaries already.

I have begun to actively work on the project these days again, so expect more updates in the next weeks. Should you run into problems using these, feel free to post them here and I will look into it.

Cheers,
Toby

7 Likes

gonna check this now - Ive only recently gotten a CC license (I still mainly only use GIMP for final raster editing though), and was thinking I’d love to have G’Mic in After Effects and Premiere :smiley:

Note: CC, as in Adobe Creative Cloud, not Creative Commons. :nerd_face:

yes - I apologize for that :o

it’s working pretty good in AE for me - I noticed anything where it needs to connect to gmic.eu doesn’t seem to work for me - is there some setting I should add or is that happening in general? Thanks

Great to hear!
And yes, it is true that currently all calls that access online content won’t work. This limitation is by design (at least for the moment) as the library for doing this has not been linked yet to the AE DLL.
However, all of the downloadable content (the CLUTs and other extra files) can be downloaded manually or using the regular command line G’MIC interface and placed in the G’MIC shared folder, then the data will also be automatically available to the plugins in AE.

1 Like

oh that is cool - If I downloaded the CLUTs, where would I need to put them, using ‘Polaroid 690 Warm–’ is my default for all image processing, and I’d love to be able to use it on video too :slight_smile: - thanks - keep up the good work (y)

Download all the external data files for offline use from here:
http://gmic.eu/gmic_all_data.zip

Put them in the folder
C:\Users\[YOUR_USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\gmic

I think that should do the trick.

If not, open up G’MIC as a plugin, e.g. in GIMP or paint.net or even the command line version, apply a CLUT command once (it should be able to download the single CLUT file from within these applications), then check in what folder the CLUT was put and extract the contents from the zip file linked above into that folder. But I think the path I have given you is the default gmic data folder on most Windows installations.

Hey, I am trying to get the G’mic OFX to work in Davinci Resolve, on Windows 10, but to no luck. I have tried putting both the ofx file and the dll file in the effects folder of Resolve, but to no luck.

Is Resolve unsupported or am I doing something wrong? There are a lot of powerful features in G’mic for video, but I want to integrate it into a Resolve workflow?

The DLL needs to go into one of the folders that are included in the PATH environment variable. Open a command prompt and type PATH, then copy the DLL to one of the paths listed there.

1 Like

Thanks

Update: After a lot of tinkering, I got it to work. Thanks for the advice for non-computer science people like me.

I followed your advice for the DLL file, “The DLL needs to go into one of the folders that are included in the PATH environment variable. Open a command prompt and type PATH, then copy the DLL to one of the paths listed there.”

I still had trouble getting the OFX folder in the right place for Resolve to recognize it, and read the read me file stating I should put the OFX folder in the c:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\ and was confused because Resolve did not create one, and I only thought of making one myself after trying all the other conceivable locations around the Davinci Resolve program directories. I am just putting this up here in case someone else is trying to figure out the same thing (set up G’mic OFX in Resolve on Windows 10), to tell them that they actually have to create an OFX folder in the directory c:\Program Files\Common Files, and then create a folder labeled plugins inside that to put the GMIC_OFX.ofx.bundle folder inside the plugins folder.

Also, I did not find the inverse fourier transform option in the plugins, so all the G’mic filters could do is the initial fft, but not get me back after I do my frequency domain edits. Is it included in the G’mic OFX plugin set but mislabeled, or do you have any advice about alternative Resolve FFT plugins?

Yeah, users seem to have this problem with Resolve being so unclear on where it loads OFX plugins from since a long time. Most other hosts have an option to set a OFX plugin path in their settings, but not Resolve, which always loads OFX plugins from either C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins (this is the standard path where all OFX hosts should look for plugins) or from the path in the environment variable OFX_PLUGIN_PATH .

As for the FFT question, not sure why the regular one should be included and the inverse one not, but I will investigate.