G'mic for Gimp 2.10

@David_Tschumperle if it helps I see this - gimp is already the newest version (2.10.0+om-1ubu18.04.1~ppa).
gimp set to manually installed.
gimp-gmic is already the newest version (1:2.2.1+om-ubu18.04.1~ppa).

Unfortunately no, latest stable version is 2.2.2, and I think 2.2.1 will not be updated anymore with new filters and fixes (but is still working anyway).

OK, I’ve just installed GIMP 2.10 on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic (LTS), using the PPA from otto06217 : https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

The good news is that with that configuration, the “old” G’MIC plug-in (compiled for 2.8) works out of the box. I just had to copy the gmic_gimp_qt file in $HOME/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/, and after I run GIMP, I see the latest version of the G’MIC plug-in working as expected (see screenshot below, with G’MIC verion 2.2.3_pre development version).

As the title bar of the plug-in says, this is the plug-in initially for GIMP 2.8. But I got no issues with it on GIMP 2.10. If you are running another OS or version or Ubuntu, this may be different anyway.

I’m now trying to compile the plug-in binary from the current state in the git repo, so specifically for GIMP 2.10. I’ll tell you if that is working or not.

2 Likes

Compilation of the plug-in went OK.
It is also recognized without any issues in GIMP 2.10. Now the title bar says “G’MIC 2.2.3_pre for GIMP 2.10”, which is nice. The main difference is that version uses the new plug-in API of GIMP 2.10 for managing input/outputs, so it works with high-bit depths images without quantizing them, contrary to the G’MIC plug-in for GIMP 2.8.

So right now, using this PPA, I don’t see any problems :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes running Kubunto 18.04, both your QT and GTK versions of the latest G’mic pre-release work fine. Neither of those work in Gimp 2.10 flatpak however.

I would appreciate the compatibility of G’mic with the Gimp 2.10 flatpac, as that is the one that will be most used.

1 Like

I’ve no idea how flatpak works, so I won’t be able to help for this. You should contact the GIMP flatpak maintainer, maybe he knows how to do it.

I think more the limitations imposed by the gnome library that gets installed for the Gimp flatpak.

/var/lib/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/some-long-string/files/lib

Kubuntu 16.04, I can get the GTK version, (one I compiled for Gimp 2.9.9) running by slipping more-than-a-few library files into org.gnome.Platform

I am sure that is not the way to do it, but it works here.

Tried the QT version but a step too far, that runs into conflicts.

Bundling plugin with the flatpak is on my list of things to do, but it might not be so easy, @Jehan said in another thread.

1 Like

IMHO bundling plugins with anything is not the way to go. You need to be able to put a plugin, compiled or python, into the Gimp profile plugins folder and it should work.

At the moment that is generally not true for either the flatpak or the appimage.

I just think it is crazy to have to download the whole application just for, (say) a 7 MB gmic update.

Flatpak is a way to layer packages on to of each other, so while gimp official will never package gmic or other plugins, we can package them, serve them as a pixls flatpak repo or submit them to flathub. We can list the gimp flathub as a dependency, so it’ll be installed. It’ll also provide updates, and will be simpler the enduaer for plugins that need to be compiled, like resynthisizer

hmm…resynthesizer already runs out-of-the-box in my flatpak installation

the fft plugin needs some libfftw3 library files
liquid rescale is a bit easier only requires liblqr-1.so.0 and BIMP needs libpre.so.3

plenty others that work just by popping into ./config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

Do you really want to include all in a bespoke gimp-addon flatpak. What needs updating is the org.gnome runtime. Can not believe that it does not include libpre.so.3

I feel the same about that monster that is the debian gimp_plugin_registry package. Plugin bundles, a thousand curses on them.

We have the option to package them individually.

I just would like to mention that I am preparing a Docker container that will allow to compile binary plug-ins that are compatible with my GIMP AppImage, and that can thus be simply copied into the .config folder. That seems to be the most simple solution at the moment…

1 Like

Thank you for the update to your appImage! Now I can use my favorite Scheme scripts…

1 Like

Finally after reading here, I got it working in Win10 Gimp 2.10.2 Nice.

Gmic & gimp 2.10 from flatpak on debian 9 stable. Partial solution.

Tipographic convention:

input in terminal

output in terminal

This work for me but require a gtk version of gmic (available 1 june, no available now)

download org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
from https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ (the " Install GIMP flatpak" button)

download gmic_gimp2.10_gtk_2.2.4_pre_debian_sid_amd64.zip
from ???

flatpak --user install org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
flatpak  run org.gimp.GIMP
cp gmic_gimp2.10_gtk_2.2.4_pre_debian_sid_amd64.zip ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/
cd ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
unzip gmic_gimp2.10_gtk_2.2.4_pre_debian_sid_amd64.zip

/home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libfribidi.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

cd ~/.local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib
cp -i /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfribidi.so.0*  ./

/home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_gtk: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

cp -i /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfftw3* ./

Now gmic run on gimp. I test this solution from 2 weeks, no problem.

For qt gmic (the only available now on gmic site), this trick does not work: the plugin wants a version of libqt upper the version in debian stable, I try the version in unstable (download the package extract the lib with dpkg -x and copy, but the lib want an upper version of glibc).

I try the flatpak libqt (and fail)

flatpak --user install flathub org.kde.Platform//5.11

but flatpak’s gimp don’t see other runtime

I try also to copy qtlib from kde runtime to gnome runtime.

cp -ai  .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11/active/files/lib/libQt5Widgets.* local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib/
cp -ai  .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11/active/files/lib/libQt5Gui.* .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib/
cp -ai  .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11/active/files/lib/libQt5Network.* .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib/
cp -ai  .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11/active/files/lib/libQt5Core.* .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib/
cp -ai  .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11/active/files/lib/libxcb* .local/share/flatpak/runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28/active/files/lib/

gimp see the gimp-qt plugin but the plugin crash.

The output message:
with gtk (plugin OK):
Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description
WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “R’G’B’ double” to “CIE Lab double”
/home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_gtk: /lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_gtk)

with qt (plugin crash):
Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description
WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “R’G’B’ double” to “CIE Lab double”
/home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt: /lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt)
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “xcb” in “”
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
/home/johan/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt: fatal error: Aborted

This is some good work, but I’m not sure that I’d want to be copying things into the runtimes. Won’t you changes be wiped the next time the runtime is updated?

I really want to get G’MIC QT into its own flatpak; that to me is the real solution.

1 Like

eeks, I noticed the same thing…at least it’s not just me…!

it’s to your benefit to read this post :slight_smile:

Using Kubuntu 16.04 flatpak Gimp 2.10.4

Confirm that any extra files required by plugins need to be reinstalled when the runtime(s) are updated. Not difficult if the required files are archived somewhere, ready to copy over. example: https://i.imgur.com/XLHUsG1.jpg Common sense here and do not overwrite any of the existing runtime files.

31 files for just bimp(18) FFT gimp-lqr-plugin gmic_gimp_gtk(2.2.4) nufraw-gimp(0.42)

Second that suggestion.