GMI'C installation for Fedora

I downloaded and installed the rpm for Fedora 28. But when I open GIMP (2.10 unstable), I don’t see anything in the Filters menu for G’MIC. What else do i need to do?

Hm. The command line says version 2.1.8 - that sounds rather old.

You should request that your packager update the version.

Gmic is included in the latest gimp appimage from @Carmelo_DrRaw!

That seems to be @Josef radinger

@Colin_Adams you do that there:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi

@Colin_Adams

Indeed, this might be the easiest and quickest way to the test the bleeding-edge versions of GIMP and G’MIC. Packages are updated on a weekly base.

Where are the downloads?

Here:

Thanks. But how do you run it?
I tried clicking on it, was prompted for the root password, but then nothing else happens.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it… Download the package, make it executable - for example using this command from the terminal:

chmod u+x GIMP_AppImage-*

Then run it as any other Linux executable.

You can find more informations about AppImage packages here.

EDIT: if you want to make this more permanent and easy to use, you can do the following:

• create a $HOME/.local/bin folder if not existing yet, and add it to your PATH environment variable:
    export PATH=$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH
    Put this command in your $HOME/.bashrc file so that it will be automatically set next time you log in
  • copy the GIMP appimage as $HOME/.local/bin/gimp

At this point, next time you will invoke gimp without an explicit path, the AppImage will be executed.

The AppImage should also support desktop integration - it should be listed in the applications menu and “Open with…” contextual menu of the file manager, but I have to admit that I have not used this feature a lot, so it will require some testing.

2 Likes