G'MIC updating issues thread

@syteanric1 Welcome to the forum! I suggest you download from https://gmic.eu/download.shtml.

Hmm, actually update281.gmic is generated Dec. 6

Maybe the hourly script to generate updateXXX.gmic could be restarted?

head -15 .config/gmic/update281.gmic
#@gmic

File : update281.gmic

( G’MIC command file )

Description : Update file for G’MIC commands and filters (for current version 2.8.1).

( https://gmic.eu )

License : CeCILL v2.1

( https://cecill.info/licences/Licence_CeCILL_V2.1-en.html )

Generated on : 2019/12/06, 09:44

I waited for Perspective Streak to arrive, but it isn’t there.

EDIT: It’s here. Thanks.

Thanks. I have done that and nothing happens.

I set the preferences in Gimp to look for the plugin and it still doesn’t find 2.8

I’ve even removed all instances of Gimp from my machine, installed from fresh (via PPA in terminal) and it still wont install gmic 2.8

I’ve read somewhere that gmic 2.8.4 isn’t currently compiled for gimp 2.10.12 on ubuntu 19.10. Is this true?

2.7 works like a dream. Gimp finds it and everything seems to work. I did Sudo to nautilus and installed gmic to the .libocation, 2.8 loaded but advised it was a ‘dying plug in’ and the had to be removed.

Is there any way around this?

The PPA maintainer Thorsten Stettin has problems compiling the latest gmic’s There is a ‘prepare’ PPA which shows:

Which means at the moment you are stuck with gmic_gimp_qt 2.7.4

If it is just the gmic_gimp_qt plugin then I would try the zip from the gmic site, troll though the downloads at www.gmic.eu until you get to:

Unzip and put that in your Gimp profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins It should already be marked executable but check anyway. That should supercede the old plugin. Worth a try.

Personally not keen on the PPA version. the Gimp plugin is a dynamic version, with all the rest of the gmic stuff as dependencies. I tried it for someone recently and it pulled in a monster list of dependencies. The gmic.eu zip is a more regular static version for those (like me) who do not use the gmic command line application.

…and one I compiled for myself a few days ago. Seems to working ok, no disasters so far, but it is for 'buntu 18.04 / Mint 19

1 Like

6 days and counting…

Looks like a caching issue or something similar.
On the web site, at https://gmic.eu/gui_filters.txt, the date is today’s date.

PS: well no, the .gmic file is not updated indeed. Will check that.

Not updating even though gui_filters.txt looks good. My update284.gmic shows

#  Generated on : 2020/02/17, 20:01

I can no longer update from Krita GUI filter. There’s a workaround with cli though.

I wonder if it has to do with the new pre. Also, gui_filters.txt became inaccessible last night but is available now.

Some news about this issue:

• I’ve started working on somehow major version 2.9.0 of G’MIC, and some things have changed and were not backward-compatible with the stdlib for 2.8.x.
  • So, I’ve stopped pushing the updates for the 2.8.x serie.
  • These last days, I’ve worked (a lot) on implementing a generic parser of G’MIC filters (new command parse_gui), which is now used to generate the filter update files that are uploaded on the server. This command uses some of the new stuffs introduced for 2.9.0.
  • Yesterday, I’ve uploaded compiled binaries for pre-release version 2.9.0_pre (available at: Index of /files/prerelease). If you feel being a beta-tester, do not hesitate to install them and report issues you could get.
  • In the longer run, the command parse_gui will be super-useful for us, to automatically generate G’MIC nodes for Blender. That is work in progress, more info when we get some. The parser will be indeed capable of generating code or filter info in any output format (XML, JSON, …).
3 Likes

On the last part, that means it would be easy to update Construction Material Texture or am I reading that wrong? I was thinking of node-based editing and then output code for editing.

Hello, I’m on Win10 home version/gimp 2.10.18.0 - I recently downloaded the most recent version of gmic (2.9.0) [and just to let you know, everything was working fine with the previous version]. I’m not sure, however, if my problem is the same as everyone else’s. I keep getting a 'system error warning - that Qt5 Gui.dll or another .dll is missing/not located and it would be best if I re-installed (which I have done). here is a screenshot:

sorry, should have made this more readable!

Are you downloading from official sources? Easiest way to solve the problem might be to reinstall both, if you have the patience. I would recommend that you re-download the releases. I.e., GIMP has had a few hotfixes and double check to make sure you are installing 2.9.0 and not 2.9.0-pre.

@Anonym recently reinstalled both GIMP and G’MIC. Maybe he or she could guide you through the process.

hey afre, yes I did download from the official source (every time) and just recently re-uploaded Gimp,and when I re-installed, (with gmic) I did use the same download…so maybe that was pointless, lol. So I will re-install gmic…I also downloaded the compiled binaries for pre-release version 2.9.0_pre(quote) that David_Tschumperle gave out to try (why not?)…thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Try to re-download GIMP because although the installer has the same name it may have a newly fixed version. Confusing I know. Second, don’t use 2.9.0_pre! It has the same name but was updated at least 5 times. What you want is the 2.9.0 under “stable”.

Also read this post and its parent thread. I know it takes a while to navigate these problems but I am (and we are) here to help as usual. :slight_smile:

Stick with GIMP and you will be fine. The reason for the GLIMPSE project was a little silly, no need to use it, unless you don’t like the name the GIMP.

4 Likes

Gimp plugins don’t work in glimpse because the glimpse project changed all the internal names, not just human readable ones. So none of the gimp plugins work unless the glimpse project is maintaining them.

2 Likes

definitely have no problem with the name GIMP! :slight_smile: