Greetings and hoping to benefit from the experience of darktable users / community

Cordial greetings to all! I was advised to check out this website / community and I’m glad that I did. I’m new to darktable but not to digital photography, so just starting to come up to speed with DT.
Sure I’m taking 66X longer to process than desirable, but having fun messing about w/DT and different modules. I’ve enclosed the second image that I’ve processed and hoping to benefit from your observations on the results and modules used.

Cheers and thanks for the advice,

Deisman

20220914_0006.CR2.xmp (17.7 KB)

Please don’t forget to explicitly state the license you want to release your image with! A common license used here includes something like below:

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Note that a basic edit with darktable can be done in a very short time. Then, when you start to tweak the photo, the possibilities are endless (unlike your time :smiley: ).
Somewhat outdated, but still valid: darktable 3.0 for dummies (in 3 modules) (instead of filmic, we now have filmic rgb; instead of color balance, color balance rgb).

Nice image. Can’t find the raw file though.

Thanks Kofa! I will check it out.

Chris

Hopefully the raw file uploads now…

That’s a JPG.

Yikes - must be my browser converting during upload. I’ve zipped the .CR2 file and will upload. Thank you kofa for bearing with me while I sort this out. Should be 28mb raw file.
20220914_0006.CR2.zip (27.0 MB)

That probably went well. Raw files, including CR2, are normally uploading just fine. I doubt your browser has a raw developer built in. :slight_smile:
I’ve already turned the computer off, and will be in the office tomorrow, but I’m sure there will be others to give it a shot.

Do you have a GPU in your machine, with OpenCL enabled? I’m only asking because some modules are hardly usable without a GPU.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/opencl/

No need to zip…you can just upload your raw…

EDIT as I am sure you know or will find out if you search playraw you will see lots of examples that you can download and study as well…good luck on your journey of discovery…

20220914_0006.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

2 Likes

I’m always curious what the edit will look like using TE and no filmic I often like them… may just be me but I always like the detail…

No Filmic

20220914_0006_01.CR2.xmp (10.1 KB)

Filmic

20220914_0006.CR2.xmp (9.9 KB)

1 Like

20220914_0006_01.CR2.xmp (14.8 KB)

20220914_0006.CR2.xmp (14.7 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

20220914_0006.CR2.xmp (17.4 KB)

4 Likes

20220914_0006.CR2.xmp (9.6 KB)

1 Like

A different take on the shot using color zones module to desaturate all but the flowers.