Halo around blue in HSV edit

Am wondering why this haloing effect is happening around the blue area on the left.

I wonder if there is some way to get rid of that. Raw file, pp3 and full size available here

1 Like

also the writing top left. I also apologise for the profanity of the writing :frowning:

1 Like

zip is done uploading. have at it guys :slight_smile:

No need. We’re all adults here (I think). :slight_smile:

Apparently someone wrote about this happening in ligthtroom http://www.duncanfawkes.com/blog/avoiding-halos/

I don’t know if this is relevant, but I was skimming 2 articles written I think by Elle Stone discussing recent(ish) developments in GIMP. (There was a part 1 and part2 in case you wanted to find them, Gimp.org…)

One of these said that basically, HSV was out of date and rubbish compared with other representations (I think!). You could perhaps try editing the photo a different way?

My guess.

hsv_white_between_blue_orange.pp3 (9.4 KB)

You’re dealing with the colors blue and orange (brown):

They happen to be opposites:

Between blue and orange lies white.

When you lower the value of orange the value or blue goes up (why? @jdc do you know?).

The pixels where blue crosses over into orange must turn white.

Change the white balance and you get this cool effect

6 Likes

The explanation @Morgan_Hardwood suggested seems to make sense that white is between the opposing hues. It seems that before edit the whole area including what ends up white was blue. Wish there was a way to just make colours darker without the transition issues. I will need to try to apply the edit to a clutch to see if replacing the blue with a darker blue does the job without issue.

Now what @RawConvert says could also be the case. It would be nice if someone knowledgeable could look over the HSV code to see if it can be improved. Also a CMYK settings section would be nice (in my case in order to mess with skin tones) rather than just the RGB channels available.

1 Like

I’d be interested in a CMYK section for dealing with skin tones too (particularly useful for tan/brown skin tones as I understand).

Use L*a*b*.

Left=HSV, right=L*a*b*

2 Likes

hi Stefan, I don’t think @Elle was suggesting any coding was deficient, rather that HSV is just a poor way of working with photos. She wrote -
“HSV (“Hue/Saturation/Value”) is a sad little color space designed for fast processing on slow computers, way back in the stone age of digital processing. HSV is OK for picking colors from a color wheel. But it’s really wretched for just about any other editing application, because despite the fact that “HSV” stands for “Hue/Saturation/Value”, you actually can’t adjust color and tonality separately in the HSV color space.”

This came from here - Users Guide to High Bit Depth GIMP 2.9.2, Part 1

And lo and behold - LAB has sorted your problem!

Yeah. I mean you’ve got the Yellow there and Magenta too, which are two huge elements in the way the skin tone is displayed. I wonder if it’s hard to implement or just nobody thought it to be relevant yet.

That does look better; I will try it out myself too. Now what I want is to have all hues lowered in luminance.

@stefan.chirila I think you can do that with the LH curve in the LAB tab: Lab Adjustments - RawPedia

Yeah technically. I remember there was something I used to dislike about the look that one produced a while back when I tried it, but can’t remember well. I’ll try it again, maybe it got improved in the meantime.

As a sidenote; it’s such a beautiful thing that we get to discuss all the features and directly influence the development of such a useful piece of software. The Open Source community really does rock! :slight_smile:

1 Like