Hazy snowy bridge

Lets see what you can do with this image. It was a hazy day and taken through a moving car window, but I feel the subject matter has a lot of potential.
DSCF4051.RAF (25.1 MB)
My take using RawThrapee Dev

DSCF4051-3.jpg.out.pp3 (26.2 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).

2 Likes

I think the image is for a B/W processing.
nevertheless a try in color.

Hazy snowy bridge_DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (12.3 KB)

5 Likes

I like the retro look of the color palate.

1 Like

DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (9,5 KB)

1 Like

DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (13.2 KB)

1 Like

An antique look:

Overall processing + B&W conversion: DSCF4051.tif.pp3 (13.7 KB)
Gelatin silver toning applied: DSCF4051.jpg.out.pp3 (13.7 KB)

7 Likes

i’m testing with darktable 3.4.1.1

DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (8,6 Ko)

Oh, man. This image has made me lose faith in everything I thought I had learned over the past few weeks. Everything I try with the colors looks green. And when I try to add contrast and clarity, it just looks more washed out.

:grimacing:

1 Like

Minimalistic RawTherapee version. Started from neutral profile and applied the settings shown in history at left:

1 Like

Maximalistic RawTherapee version. When playing with Retinex I found a sensor spot around pixel 3400/650, diameter 200 pixels.
Just played around with some functions I never used before :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

DSCF4051_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (15.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks. I have never tried RawTherapee. But I see what you did with the color temperature, and I will revisit the image…

I believe I have found something acceptable. dt 3.4.1

DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (6.8 KB)

Wysyłanie: DSCF4051-SNS-HDR_Night-LAB.jpg

SNS-HDR, GIMP => Mode LAB

Another one that I had missed!
I tried to bring emphasis to the bridge. Filmulator (default values) then into GIMP. In GIMP I used a plug-in which creates 10 equal, independent, masked luminosity layers (almost zones, but with a slight overlap). The bridge was darkened and it’s background slightly lightened. The sky and the water were darkened and the saturation reduced. Scaled and sharpened with wavelet decompose.

I am sure there may be simpler ways of producing the same result.

This photograph I think benefits from a hint of colour, rather than being totally greyscale.

1 Like

Love the cold feeling. I try to keep it.
dt 3.7.0

DSCF4051.RAF.xmp (9.0 KB)