HDR tonemapping "lock" for video usage

I’m using rawtherapee for raw video using DNGs from magic lantern raw files (MLV). Although it can be quite slow and tedious to use for video, especially for many different scenes, I often find that nothing else can deliver the same results as rawtherapee!

I love the look I’m getting using the new HDR tomemapping function, but it tends to be unusable because it will dramatically change the look as the scene light changes, such as panning from darker to brighter areas, or any other changes in lighting.

Would it be possible to add a “lock” function, so that whatever settings are established will remain consistent no matter what changes in the frame?

This lock idea would be very beneficial on quite a few other functions also which currently cannot be used on video due to similar “adaptive” behaviours, but the HDR tonemapping function is so great that it definitely merits the first priority!

thanks!

1 Like

I experience the same problem when tonemapping images intended for panoramic stitching - adjacent frames can look very different. Is a solution possible using Fattal? @agriggio might know.

I don’t think that’s possible. as far as I know, the tone mapping for each pixel depends on the luminance of the surrounding ones, so the results are necessary frame-specific. when stitching, I always apply tone mapping (renamed to ‘dynamic range compression’ in dev, btw) after stitching. for video, I’m afraid I can’t think of any reasonable work around…

1 Like

I’m sorry to learn this. I haven’t found another way to get the same result.

Thanks for the reply.