[Help] Collaborative translation of a presentation article for G'MIC 3.0 release

Hello Everyone,

Original Post:

I wrote an article about the last two years of development on G’MIC, in French. I’d like mainly to translate it in English, eventually for having a new blog post to publish for Pixls.us (if @patdavid thinks it’s a good idea :slight_smile: ). But the article is really huge, which means this represents a lot of work.
(and I must admit It took me already so long to write it that I’m almost sick of it!).

Would it be possible to get some help with the translation ?
The article is written in Markdown.

If anyone willing to help, how could we proceed ? I don’t even think being fluent in French is a necessary skill since the Deepl or Google translation should already do a pretty decent job.
It would be probably more a matter of formatting and linguistic correction of (badly) translated sentences.

Update:

I’ve automatically translated the Markdown content using Deepl translation service.
I’ve also shared the Markdown a collaborative editing service, so you can help to make the article readable in correct English here :

Thanks by advance for your help!

3 Likes

As before, I could help with some of the proofreading given I have free time and energy.

1 Like

I could help out in January if that’s not too late.

Wayne

If somebody sets up a shared editing method I’m sure plenty will chip in, myself included. I’ll have some time possibly tomorrow and weekend…

1 Like

Thanks for your interest on this. Here is the link to the Markdown file (in French) to be translated : https://gmic.eu/gmic300/gmic300_en.md
(uses UTF-8).

I’m starting to create the auto-translated markdown file, with Deepl.
Not checking the quality of the translation right now, just formatting it in Markdown and converting the links to the English equivalent pages.

1 Like

Well , I’ve done a first pass and the document is now translated in English, with correct formatting (in markdown).

I stop working on it right now, do not hesitate to do something with it!

A lot of sentences are probably flawed (due to the automatic translation), so lot of work remains to be done!

Perhaps best to do this in a way which handles concurrent user edits - I think some time ago we did something similar with hackmd.io? At the very least I’d suggest something with version control…

1 Like

So maybe this one : Links: - HackMD ?

Aha good, I was reluctant to transfer the article somewhere on your behalf without permission :slight_smile:
Now we can get it rolling!

1 Like

That’s me finished a first run through. I think comments saying “this is only a subset of the full list of changes” and similar are repeated too often, but I left them and focused only on translation.

There are some places with an odd turn of phrase e.g. youtube “lobotomizing” people :smiley: , funny but I don’t know if that’s the correct translation or not!

1 Like

That’s me done about as much as I can bear, so I’ll leave it to others now :slight_smile:
I’m quite impressed at the initial quality of the translation. I notice there are very few contractions, not certain if that’s intentional.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @garagecoder !

1 Like

I’ll finally publish this on the G’MIC website.
This will be the occasion to test the G’MIC markdown engine thoroughly, and I think this is a good place to have such detailed release notes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here it is : G'MIC 3.0: A third dose to process your images!

1 Like

Good job. No input from me necessary. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like