Help to improve skies using filmic and other modules.

Thank you my friend.

I like the natural looking, mainly in the buildings. You have emphasize the blue color in the dome above the virgin.
Great job, have to see the editing.

I like that sky too. Thank you.

The tone eq is about its mask…Its not a strait forward luminance mask there are parameters included to try to maintain local contrast and various luminance estimator models can be chosen along with some guided blurring and edge detection…some of these parameters you can manipulate to refine how your exposure changes will be applied

1 Like

@s7habo
Thank you for your edit that, as usual, is very inspiring: your impressive skills at using the “complex” darktable tools allows you to shape your vision in beautiful edits.
As a lot of DT users already posted their work, I thought to hack the thread with an ART edit, but am now discouraged as I cannot get near this result on this tricky photo. :grinning:

I went with a more natural appearance I think. DT3.6

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (11.3 KB)

7 Likes

Here is a quickie 3-4 minute edit using Lightroom Classic 10.3 and only global adjustments.

2 Likes

I went for what I guessed was the natural look. Turned out much like @Dinobe 's. I think the wet square is more interesting than the sky.

DSCF0262-tricky-sky-RawConvert.xmp (64.5 KB)

2 Likes

Perhaps you could give a brief summary of what those adjustments were.
I used Lightroom a good while back. I always had the feeling that when I moved something like the shadow slider, a lot of adjustments were being made behind the scenes (local contrast etc) which is why people say that it is simple to use…

I have so many, that I don’t know where to start. The list would endless and very newbie…
My general feeling is that most of what you did seems counter-intuitive / exactly the opposite what I would do: decrease the exposure, decrease the shadows and increase the highlights, crank up almost everything in the colour balance RGB …

DSCF0262_15.RAF.xmp (14.4 KB)

Challenging picture…
DT 3.6 and all tricks I am capable of, including some dodge/burn

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
My take, using dt 3.7.

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (23.7 KB)

4 Likes

Yes, of course, I could do that, but this is a darktable forum so, I think, no one here is interested in how to do stuff in Lightroom. I only posted it because there was a request to see the photo made with other software. I spent a very short time on it, but with a few more minutes I may have created a range mask (similar to a darktable parametric mask) on the sky and done a bit more there. Also, I may have used an adjustment brush (similar to a darktable drawn mask) to work on the interesting puddles.

Fair enough, I realise that most people wouldn’t be interested in a detailed description of your steps in Lightroom as most of us don’t use it. However just a brief description of the main tools used might help some of us understand what editing a similar picture in Lightroom entails. . I am just curious really. No problem if you don’t think it worthwhile…

I just used the typical Lightroom controls. I used white balance, exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, texture, clarity, dehaze, and vibrance controls. I then tweaked the color calibration controls a little bit after all that. That’s it, nothing special. Oh, I also used the transform panel (like the darktable perspective correction module) and a small amount of sharpening. Just your basic stuff. Sure, with more time I could do more, but it’s not my photo so I didn’t feel like spending more than a few minutes on it. I didn’t use the tone curve or any non-global editing.

3 Likes

i got two edits:
DSCF0262
my own twist on adapting some techniques from @s7habo 's youtube video (DSCF0262.RAF.xmp 12.4 KB)

and my second attempt using a different approach (DSCF0262_01.RAF.xmp 13.6 KB)
DSCF0262_01

[still figuring out how to make the colours of the building poped up :joy:]

2 Likes

Here is my edit using dt 3.7:

DSCF0262_11.RAF.xmp (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

fantastic and very natural edit. Thanks.

I will be out for holidays. When I am back will revise editions. Thank you all.

1 Like

ART

1 Like

Very nice image. I like to bring the yellow out. Rawtherapee was used.
DSCF0262-3

This picture allows a really good exercise using Darktable. Thank you for sharing it. I tried to process it using my limited experience with DT according to my taste.

There are dark spaces on the round building (basilica?) in the middle such as the arcs above the windows and the main door in front of the building and the main door itself.

In some processed images shown in this thread those areas are completely black lacking of any details. Those pictures look very crisp however. In other pictures (jpg) and in my picture those arcs are a little bit bluish or greenish with several bright dots. What is the reality, that may not matter.

Not only the sky is difficult to edit, but also the yellow bricks that should look natural. If the color of the buildings is too brilliant and saturated, at first sight they look attractive, but if you zoom in, then the facade is not realistic.

This is my brief analysis on the rendering of this picture.

DSCF0262Kopie.RAF.xmp (19.0 KB)

5 Likes