Holiday Fun - Thankyou Developers

To celebrate all the cool gifts developers have given us this year, which I am hugely thankful for, I decided to release this raw file in a play raw session with a creative commons license with dedication towards them for their hard work. It is appropriately holiday themed… Christmas Tree light bokeh balls, Sony A7ii with Canon FD 50mm 1.4 at 1/100th sec, ISO 200, f/1.4 . Have fun trying your own edits on this, and feel free to use it for Christmas cards next year if you feel so inclined.
DSC08903.ARW (23.6 MB)

Here is my quick and bright Rawtherapee edit:

DSC08903.ARW.pp3 (11.9 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

Is the dust inside your lens?

No, the blobs of color are out of focus christmas lights, but the dust is visible as their texture. There is a modest amount of dust on my exposed front and rear element that does influence extreme use cases like thits, but a lot of the blockage of the out of focus highlights that is heavily pronounced is more a result of the branches obscuring some of the ray paths from the light to the lens.

darktable 3.0

3 Likes

Did someone say FUN?! :partying_face::christmas_tree: Have a blessed Christmas!

Fun interpretation. What did you use to do the mosaic scramble effect, @afre ?

Funny you ask: it was meant to prompt the question. :wink:  You can access the builtin Array [Random] filter from the G’MIC plugin. Could have made it more seamless…The image prior to that step was the result of a series of my own commands on your JPG and so my entry isn’t a true Play Raw. :shushing_face:

Had a suspicion it was a G’mic filter.

No, kidding. I followed your theme literally. Holiday. Fun. Developers. Thanks for your photo.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Happy rest of the holiday season.