How to import JPEGs and RAWs on Windows

On Linux, I use Rapid Photo Downloader, which works beautifully. On vacation, however, I only bring my Surface Go laptop, which runs Windows. I use this for culling (with Darktable) and the occasional edit if I have to, but the bulk of the editing happens when I’m back home on my “real” computer.

What do you do to import JPEGs and RAWs into daily directories on Windows?

Depending on the amount of photos, I am either doing it manually or use GitHub - andrewning/sortphotos: SortPhotos is a Python script that organizes photos and videos into folders using date/time information

1 Like

My normal Windows practice is: run a script called “mddate.bat” that makes a directory named, for example, 20200225, then changes “cd” to that directory. “cdate.exe” and “cdx.bat” are unpublished.

cdate /f"md \Y\m\d" >%temp%\makedate.bat
cdate /f"call cdx \Y\m\d" >>%temp%\makedate.bat
call %temp%\makedate.bat
del %temp%\makedate.bat

Then “getcard.bat” which moves all images/movies/sound files from a plugged-in card, camera or whatever to that directory.

set SRCDRV=g:
if not exist %SRCDRV%\dcim set SRCDRV=h:
if not exist %SRCDRV%\dcim set SRCDRV=i:

set SRCDIR=%SRCDRV%\dcim\100GOPRO

if exist %SRCDIR% (
  echo Found %SRCDIR%

move %SRCDIR%\* .
)

set SRCDIR=%SRCDRV%\dcim\101ND800

if exist %SRCDIR% (
  echo Found %SRCDIR%

move %SRCDIR%\* .
)
1 Like

Thank you for your answers. How strange that the best option on “we have all the apps” Windows is writing a script. But thank you providing examples!

There are for sure GUI solutions on Windows. I just could not find one that is open source and does what I need.

1 Like

There may be an app for that, but:

1. It would take me longer to find the app than it does to write the script.

2. Learning the app may take time.

3. When my needs change, tweaking the app or finding a replacement will take longer than tweaking my script.

1 Like