How to link Gimp and Darktabel if they are both installed via Flatpak ( Linux)

I can not open a raw file from within Gimp that normally opens Darktable as raw " convertor"
In preferences there is a placeholder , but i get only a error .
Is this because both programs are installed with flatpak?
More info :
OS = Linux ( ubuntu flavour)
Preferences : ${gimp_plug_in_dir}/plug-ins/file-raw-placeholder/file-raw-placeholder

That is likely the problem. Also the darktable plugin is likely trying to call darktable instead of flatpak run org.darktable.Darktable

Sorry for the late reply ( due Newyear) .
I’m aware of that , but the syntax in preferences in Gimp is not editable.
Is there another way ?

I’m no flatpak guru nor am I familiar with the specifics of how GIMP is calling the plugin. And, this is a long shot (definitely a dirty kludge) but… Could you write a ‘darktable’ script with the flatpak syntax and put it in your $PATH? If the GIMP plugin sees that script as the binary it might work. Just make sure to pass all arguments along,

You might be able to alias the flatpak command to the actual program name using a shell alias.

That’s much cleaner than a wrapper script if it’ll work.

Thanks , for the info ( also to paperdigits)
I will give it a try . First i have to know what the filename extension should be for a script that Gimp will understand. And also the right path, because i have 3 such paths in preferences.
So , i’ll try first a " normal" plug in and see for the extension and then try to write a script .
Thanks , i’ll report the result later.

1 Like

As @paperdigits suggested an alias might (?) work instead of a script. That’s even less effort, for example:

[len@polaris] ~ $ alias showmyfiles="ls -al"
[len@polaris] ~ $ showmyfiles
total 212
drwxr-xr-x 8 len  len    4096 May 12  2022 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   4096 Mar 20  2022 ..
-rw------- 1 len  len    5440 Dec 27 22:30 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 len  len     220 Mar 20  2022 .bash_logout

…and so forth.

If you want it to apply automatically, put it in your ~/.bash_profile (sourced at login) or ~/.bashrc (sourced at each shell invocation). I generally put environment stuff like this in /etc/profile.d/custom.sh and then source that from ~/.bashrc but that’s also for system-wide stuff. Your choice.