[SOLVED] How to use Discard Contour Guides option in Colorize Lineart (Smart Coloring)?

Hi.
I am using G’MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.10 - Linux 64 bits - 2.8.0.

A video by @David_Tschumperle showcasing Discard contour guide option.

At 0:35 you can see the Colorize with option is set to Random colors and Discard contour guides is checked.
These are my results following the same process as the above video:

A video by David Revoy explaining how to use Colorize Lineart (Smart Coloring).

My issue:

When using Colorize Lineart (Smart Coloring) filter with Colorize Mode set to Extrapolate Color Spots on Transparent Top Layer, I am getting results where the contour guides aren’t discarded.
Contour detection (%) = 95 and Discard Contour Guides is checked.

Lineart (Input)

Color spots (Input)

Colors (Output)

Lineart (Output)

Whereas using Colorize Lineart (Smart Coloring) filter with Colorize Mode set to Generate Random-Colors Layer gives me results where the contour guides have been discarded.

The reason I am trying the “Discard contour guide” option in Extrapolate Color Spots on Transparent Top Layer mode even though I have found most of the videos showcasing this option used Colorize Mode as Generate Random-Colors Layer is that “Discard contour guide” option is listed inside Global geometry parameters section and not For Random colors mode only section.
So I am hopeful the option should work for “Extrapolate Color Spots on Transparent Top Layer” mode.

What am I doing wrong?
How can I discard contour guides when using “extrapolate color spots” option?

Using Colorize Lineart (Smart Coloring) filter with Colorize Mode set to Generate Random-Colors Layer gives me results where the contour guides have been discarded.

Lineart (Input)

Colors (Output)

Lineart (Output)

What am I doing wrong?
How can I discard contour guides when using “extrapolate color spots” option?

PS: Sorry, I can’t add more than four images in my first post. This reply is a continuation of the first post. This reply showcases how the resulting lineart has discarded the contour guides when generating random colors.

Hmm.
Is there something wrong with the post?

@nrcarla Welcome to the forum!

Nothing wrong. Everyone is just busy or unfamiliar with the commands. Meanwhile, if you want to elaborate more, feel free to do so. The more context, such as the version number, the better. I will ping @David_Tschumperle.

1 Like

Thank you @afre.
I have added a few more details to my original post.
I will be adding more in time.

I confirm the bug. I’ll have a look tonight to see how this can be fixed.
Thanks for your report, and sorry for the slow response.

2 Likes

Hello @nrcarla, thanks for your patience.
I’ve been able to fix the bug (hopefully). If you have version 2.8.0 or 2.8.1_pre of the plug-in, then the fix is available after pressing the “update filters” button, below the filter tree.
Otherwise, I may suggest you try installing a newest version (and press the “Update filters” button anyway :slight_smile: ).
Let me know if that solves your issue.

FYI, this change has been made on the code : Fix bug with option 'Discard contours guide' in filter 'Colorize [Sma… · dtschump/gmic@db7b824 · GitHub

1 Like

Hey, thank you for fixing this.

FYI, this change has been made on the code : https://github.com/dtschump/gmic/commit/db7b8249b43186f69699910007bb09deb3de4db4

That solved it for me.
Thank you. :slight_smile: