howto reuse parametric mask

Hi everyone
Whilst I can easily reuse drawn masks, I can’t find away to reuse parametric masks.

Say I’ve made a parametric mask in denoise. How do I reuse that same mask in say, sharpen?
TIA,
Steve

The feature you’re looking for is raster masks

1 Like

That is fine for the same image - though not having a layer is a cumbersome adventure …
But rasterized masks can not be reused usefully with other images.

Hi @WMedl and welcome. In what instances would you want to reuse a raster mask on a different image?

E.g. the sky can be defined by a combination of luminosity and color maybe confined by a rectangle or a gradient mask the latter may be adapted if necessary. Or animals, flowers etc. may be defined once in a parametric mask and reused thereafter.

That parametric mask is unique to the inputs though so if your next image has slight hue or brightness changes then the mask will not longer be 100% accurate… the extent to which that breaks what you intend to mask image to image will vary…

Raster masks are not editable, even on the same image. You just modify the source parametric mask. The parametric masks can be copied between images, but I’m not sure that’ll work so well.

You can save a module preset with a parametric mask applied. I have such presets and they work.

Yes that may be but for series of related images maybe with some changed perspective, frame etc …
And the mask could be modified if necessary…

In which case you can copy the parametric and drawn masks and edit them accordingly. The raster mask is of no use here.

Drawn Masks can be directly reused in different images but how to “copy” parametric masks?

They will transfer with the module but if you don’t use exactly the same modules before it then it is a different mask… The modules are processed in the prescribed pipeline order and the settings in the parametric mask will take the cumulative result up to the point it receives it and then apply what you have in the slider… so change anything before this including having a different image will change that mask so the degree to which you copy them and for what purpose will provide differing results… if you just want to limit or include a tonal range or hue you can do that but as for using it to transfer a mask that defines a similar region image to image… not likely …