Hummingbirds, highlights... help!

I don’t know what colours the flowers had. My first processing was:

After I saw @ggbutcher’s and @gaaned92’s versions, I tweaked mine a bit:

Darktable’s processing steps should be in the JPGs.

I don’t know much about DCPs, but the ones I’ve inspected from the AdobeDNGConverter seem to have LUTs for the camera → XYZ part of the colorspace transform. Don’t know if they use targets or SSFs, but that should work better for the blues than any matrix…

That’s an interesting question. While I think I’ve found a reasonable way to collect the data, it has to then be presented to the range of cameras out there. And, there also has to be a place where folk can snarf the data already collected. I’m thinking of starting a github repo with what I’ve collected, and add to it as I get more data. Others have started such, but they don’t seem to live much past their initial dataset, usually collected in conjunction with published research…

2 Likes

The plant is a blue salvia and they tend towards a royal blue. I found that Filmic initially makes to colors wilder, so it took some work to bring the blooms back in line. I’m still not happy with them so I look forward to reviewing your XMP

1 Like

There are so many varieties of blue salvia, some are dark blue, other rather violet-blue others are light blue that it is difficult to render the true color of such plant.
The color I got is more violet than royal blue.
If you know the specie name, I could check if I have still it in my garden. Some died of draught during summer.

At my feeder they fight for space with honey bees. Somewhere I read that the bees would be scared away were I to put up dragon fly style dummies. Not sure what the birds would think of those?

The folks at the park told me the variety is “Big Swing”: Salvia x 'Big Swing' - Big Swing Hybrid Sage. We’ve had record rain for August in my area, so we still have plenty of it around

_MG_0113.CR2.xmp (17.7 KB)

Love this pic, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Glenn, how do I invoke this on Windows 10? The folders specified by DT in AppData and Program Files don’t exist. Thanks!

Create the folders.

1 Like

I really couldn’t say. I’m not an expert by any means, but I know that hummers are very territorial, so if you place food sources in different places that are out of sight from one another then you’ll likely have more hanging around your property. At least that’s what my hard-core birder friends will do.

Wow, many answers, such a beautiful picture !
I could not avoid joining the party.
But it was a struggle with the flowers.
Eventually I had to give up with filmic, It doesn’t work for me with saturated blues.
Had to build the tone curve manually and also use the channel mixer to keep the blues to a realistic tone.

_MG_0113.CR2.xmp (20.0 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have that variety. I checked on internet and effectively it seems that the color should be rather that:

1 Like

I couldn’t achieve a good result with filmic.
I kept the same crop you used for better comparison.

_MG_0113.CR2.xmp (25,1 KB)

PS: I don’t know why, but the forum decided that the jpeg must be downsized …

1 Like

I think you’ve come closest to the actual bloom. It’s funny how blue flowers have become so hard to capture!

I wanted to make the bird stand out and, essentially, hide the flowers. Didn’t accomplish it as well as I wanted; not sure where to go from here to do that.

dt3.3
_MG_0113_14.CR2.xmp (129.9 KB)

4 Likes

Nice edit!

I think you did a nice job with the colorbalance(1) instance of getting rid of that nasty blue. Admittedly those flowers are still somewhat in-your-face (taking the hiding part into account).

You could use the tone curve module to push them back a bit more creating a parametric mask using the a and b channel and playing a bit with Lab, independent channels. Here’s your sidecar, but with an added tone curve to give you an idea of what I mean: bird.cr2.xmp (22.2 KB)

Good suggestion, thanks. There’s something about the flowers that makes it seem as the picture is in 3d, and the flowers are closer to the viewer. That’s the best way I can describe it. I will play around with your idea.

Nice job! Those flowers are tough to work with, but then again those bright colors are what attracts hummers

the reconstruct colour option in the highlights reconstruction module seemed to do the trick fairly well.

_MG_0113.CR2.xmp (76.4 KB)

based on this, a second version:

quite simple with the colour zones module.

1 Like