I have a problem with Darktable - please help! [solved]

Hello. I recently got a new computer, and swiftly donwloaded Darktable. However, as you can see from the picture, I encountered a problem. I’ve tried different pictures and settings, as well as closing and opening the software, but the same thing happens. As far as I can tell, it’s only an optical problem, it doesn’t actually affect the file itself. It happens whenever I do anything, be it zooming or editing. I am working on Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop.
Does anyone know why it’s happening, and how I can make it stop?

Hi @TheZee, and welcome!

So, your OS is Windows 10.
From where did you get darktable?
Version?
Camera? File type from camera?

Could you please share one of the RAW files
that gives you problems, so we could see
“with our own fingers” what might be wrong?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

It might also be an openCL problem. Try to disable that in the settings if it is enabled (second last row in the screenshot).

Hello both.
Thank you for your answers! Disabling the openCL support seemed to do the trick, so I’m guessing we can close the thread.

:slight_smile: Good :slight_smile:
Then your next quest seems to be to kickstart openCL…

Is that important? I’m sorry, I have no idea what it does.

Yes if you have it working it will speed thing up. A lot of work was done recently that might benefit laptops. Do you have integrated or discrete graphics?? It might be worth downloading Bills weekly build…search the forum for Windows insider …latest will be from Sunday. 4/17. Turn on Opencl tuning in the preferences and see how things work…

EDIT

1 Like

Hello priort

I’m not very strong with tech terms, but I will try my best. I have discrete graphics.
What is a buid, such as the one you mention?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge - your assistance is greatly appreciated!

A build is an installable version of the software, built from the source code.
There are release builds, which are generally stable, and there are daily or weekly snapshot builds, created from the latest code from the developers. The latter have many new features, but are potentially less stable (both in terms of potential bugs, and also in terms of interface changes). They will also lack official documentation (you often need to read this forum, as well as Pull requests · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub to learn about them).

Sorry for the late response!
Thank you all for your help and answers. Darktable is running fine at the moment, so I think I’m going to leave it as it is.