I have been to Leipzig, lately.

This files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

This are the raw DNG and the JPEG files from the camera, no edits. Not really a subject for b&w, but I was just curious what b&w and the q2 would make of it.
PS: In my experience darktable prints the DNG images many times darker than the JPEGs. Am I wrong?

L1000608.dng (83.5 MB)

5 Likes

Nice one! This is my try with Darktable 4.2.0.
In this case I didn’t want to be faithful to the original, I don’t know why.
Thanks.

L1000608.dng.xmp (22.8 KB)

1 Like

L1000608.dng.xmp (8.9 KB)

You are right, but its supposed to be like that. Add some exposure and add some contrast from filmic RGB.

My fun in GIMP

Pseudogrey

Tried to add some contrast / texture to the sky.

L1000608.dng.xmp (55.6 KB)

My version…

L1000608.dng.xmp (18.9 KB)

3 Likes

Love this! How the hell did you do it?

1 Like

Thank you very much… well, it’s not easy. :thinking:
I need you to @Moo-Crumpus go to Leipzig and take a picture with that camera you have.
In my case, that many people collaborate to make a software (Darktable), which makes it possible to do these things.
Having a little time to do one of the things I like the most, developing photos.
Comments like yours help us keep improving. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For everything else, there’s the .xmp.

1 Like

I’m trying to imagine why that should be by design. I can’t think of any advantages. It reminds me more of the old days before WYSIWYG, when you couldn’t tell what you were causing until you saw the print result. What is the reason hidden to me?

Really nice.

I like seeing a minimally processed image on my screen to start with, that way I can tell what data I have and I can make informer decisions about my edit. Its the first time I actually see what data I have plotted on a histogram, since cameras show the jpeg, which is sort of the data I captured but not really.

You should make a preset that gets your image where you want it to be.

This is my version. I tried several other methods but I ended with this one.

1 Like

L1000608.dng.xmp (9.5 KB)

1 Like

When you say prints, do you actually mean when using the Print function in dt, or just on the screen…?
Because dt is definitely intended to open Raw files (including DNGs) with a minimum of adjustments so that you have maximum freedom to take where you want.
BUT
In lighttable, if you print (with a printer) an un-edited DNG, the preview in lighttable will be the embedded jpg thumbnail, but the file sent to the printer will be the unedited raw file.
If you’re printing a file you’ve already processed though it should match.
It’s more obvious with a color camera funnily enough, as the unedited raw file is usually quite unsaturated too.
Maybe this helps?

L1000608.dng.xmp (4.7 KB)

Thanks for the play!

1 Like

I don’t get it. By guessing about the result?

Nice!

Well, it’s great to open the RAW file “as is”, but surely I want to print the result “as edited”?

Yes, and to print that, you have to “export” your edited version to a new image file (use e.g. the “export” module in lighttable view). Then send the resulting image file to your printer. Darktable will not export edited images automatically (as it can’t know when you have finished an edit), nor write to the original file which you started editing.