I made focus stacks of all my lenses.

Took me half of today, but it was fun. Not perfect, not cleaned because I’m lazy.

11 Likes

What software did you use? How many shots did you combine?

Zerene Stacker, the best stacking software there is, if you ask me. As for how many shots between 8 and 40.

2 Likes

@zerosapte Nice collection!
Difficult question: Which of them is your favourite?
And why?

You seem to have concentrated on lenses from Japan.
In my country, ex-East German (DDR) and Russian manual
lenses were easier to find.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

That’s actually a very simple question. Except for macro work, the Pentax 1.7/50 is by far my favourite - it practically lives on my camera. Why? I just like the focal range, they way it handles, how crazy sharp it can be - it’s a jewel of a lens.

1 Like

These came out great considering no cleanup work. That software did a great job. Did you use a rail for the stacks?

I haven’t used a rail because I only have a manual one which is kind of broken, I used the focus ring to swipe through the field of focus.

Even though written by the author of Zerene, this information about when to use one focusing system or another is useful for everybody.

In this case, given the magnification used, the best way to focus stack is with the lens ring.

5 Likes

@XavAL Thank you. Interesting, and it makes sense.
I was on the verge of (finally) getting a manual focus rail,
but after having read this, it seems as if I should concentrate
on a l-o-n-g, smooth focusing helix instead…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

@XavAL thanks that was a great article much appreciated

1 Like

Interesting project !
seeing the SMC 50/4 reminded me of my attempt at Bali rice terrace with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes