I want to contribute to the FAQ. How?

I regularly follow this forum and the DarkTable subreddit. I see many newbie questions come back again and again. Many questions could have easily be covered by the FAQ. I think that DarkTable’s FAQ needs to be expanded, and I’m willing to contribute.

In my opinion the FAQ needs among other things:

• Short pointers to some of the most important modules with links to relevant chapters in the manual.
  • Answers to more practical question on how you achieve certain results in a language familiar to those who switch from other programs. (e.g. “how to lift shadows”)

I read the guide on how to contribute, but I have some questions still:

• Who has the final say on what goes into the homepage? According to the documentation it is “Pat David”, but the contact link just leads us back to pixls.us
  • What kind of markup is used for the FAQ?
  • Where is the repository for DarkTables website?
  • I think that the FAQ needs to be organized into subcategories. Is that possible from a practical perspective?
1 Like

Point one in any faq should be ‘It’s “darktable” not “DarkTable”’ :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s “darktable”, with no uppercase letter.

It’s indeed @patdavid who validate/merge pull requests. The repository is there: GitHub - darktable-org/dtorg

Text is in markdown format. The whole website is build with python/pelican. I agree that FAQ could be improved.

Thanks! Do we have a volunteer for proof-reading? :wink:

Very good! Thank you.

Yes, I proof read

Personally, this has always bothered me, but I’ve never spoken up about it before. When someone links to the FAQ in the forum, the snippet of the web page shows this:

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that this bit of text feels pedantic, and my gut reaction is “Will the entire FAQ be this way?”

It’s when darktable is at the start of a sentence that it really bothers me. Looks really odd for a sentence to start with a lower case ‘d’.

I’m actually used to the fact of the lower case name, probably because in my job I work on a product that has a name that starts with a lower case letter. :slight_smile:

What bothers me is that the beginning of the FAQ feels like it is lecturing new users about spelling the name of the package.

In my opinion there are one or two sentences in the FAQ that could be rewritten in a less confrontational way.

Pull requests are welcome!

1 Like