If you want to learn new things while sitting at home

10 Likes

More things to learn Strobist: SLC-1L-10: [COVID DIARIES] Shoot the Kids

TBH his whole blog is a good start if you want to learn about flash photography.

1 Like

Nice idea there… also, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the strobist blog, I remember a few years ago I bought a cheap flash and some other stuff (yongnuo remotes etc) and tried flash photography but I never got really far. These days, I may however take the flash out of the bag and see what I can do…

So here’s the question if I can hijack the thread: assuming you only have an external flash, remotes (*) and basically no modifiers (umbrella etc) except for a simple “diffuser” (rogue flashbender, a foldable thing about 22x24cm that wraps around the flash), how would you set all up for some simple portraits? I know, countless tutorial on the internet but sometimes people have their own simple setups that are perhaps easier to replicate.

…or the little “softbox” that is sold with all the flash, the one that everybody define “useless”, is there anybody that has used it successfully? also here, any tips or ideas on how to use it?

(*) this should be universal but in case it is needed, I have a nikon d810 with a cheap neewer speedlite 750II and its remote controllers.

Ciao Alessandro,

With that setup, Joe McNally’s books & blogs are a must.
Simple setup …? How simple? Like bounce your flash
against the ceiling… Make a superb light tent from an
empty, white plastic bag… Shoot product photos in the bath tub…

Lots of fun :slight_smile:

Flashingly yours,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

well those are the ideas I was talking about! thanks claes!

I haven’t used flash for decades. When I did, my rule of thumb was: NEVER use on-camera flash. The result will look unnatural and horrible. If indoors, bounce against the ceiling or wall. Anywhere, use a one-metre extension cable and hold the camera in one hand and the flash in the other, at arms-length.

I’ve never used ring flash, but I’ve seen plenty of results. They look unnatural but nevertheless can be pleasing, provided the flash unit is large enough so the lighting is diffuse.