Image viewer in Linux

gThumb of course!

1 Like

Gwenview would be great if it would display colors correctly.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420760

For those comfortable on the command line, a very convenient way to quickly scan through some photos is to use the ranger file manager configured to display images in the terminal. This is what it looks like (with some personal details painted over):

There are other tools to see and manage images from the terminal, for example GitHub - hackerb9/lsix: Like "ls", but for images. Shows thumbnails in terminal using sixel graphics.

Used Geeqie for years but I really like Gwenview. Even though I’ve mostly switched to GNOME I still use it.

IrfanView, used it for centuries on Windows and found it on Linux, too

I use Geeqie because of its inbuilt collections and scripting ability.

For those interested, some script examples can be found here.

most of all I use XnViewMP - a super program on Windows, on Linux it doesn’t run quite as well. That’s why I’m looking for an alternative.

gTumb works fine, but I can’t find a way to compare two images. Does anyone know it?

Geeqie works fine - but unfortunately it can’t rename photos by date taken. Is that possible?

Another Geeqie user, excellent for comparisons/explorations.

For culling images before importing them into darktable, I now use FastRawViewer with wine. Equally fast as under Windows, it’s a great tool for judging the quality or potential of your capture, rather than a specific rendition of it. I have minor “problems” with fonts on the splash screen and in the preference tree. Everything else works as it should.

2 Likes

I do that upfront using Rapid Photo Downloader to a staging area. One way to add it conveniently to geeqie for single images or a selection would be to configure e.g. exiftool with the respective parameters as a ‘plugin’ in Geeqie.

1 Like

Hallo paulmatth,
do you know a way to display two photos at the same time in gThumb to compare them? That would be great for me to know.

Another vote for Geeqie. It’s fast, deletes both raw and jpeg at the same time when culling, and has split screen options to compare two photos. I also use XnViewMP quite a bit, mainly for batch functions.

2 Likes

Better to write specifications for THE image viewer in Linux?
Mixing features of all these unsatisfactory viewers and some new features?

Hello @micha, just open a second instance of gThumb and you can compare two different photos.

Hallo paulmatth,
thanks for this tip. However, it is not very practical if I want to select the best one from several shots of a motif. Geeqie, XnViewMP and many others can do that much more comfortably.
Nevertheless thanks

You can also set the thumbnails to their maximum size: 256px wide, perhaps that helps. Otherwise use Geeqie or others…

I like gThumb. It’s color managed, looks good.

Ditto for me. An excellent utility. I use it mostly for batch resizing (resolution and dimensions)

geeqie (is both digital contact sheet and one at a time viewer) that can spawn Darktable and/or Gimp, for the currently selected image (which might be a raw).

It’s not color managed here on a wide gamut screen. Maybe I have an older version?

Dunno, maybe.