Images in lightable view

I have folder structure as /data/media/canon/YYYY/MM/DD-MM-YYYY/

When I click /data/media/canon/2018/11/29-11-2018 I expect to only see images which are in that folder but it is showing 788 photos while there are only 16 photos in selected folder.

It is also still referencing some folders which has been deleted but it show thumbnails for photos and metadata but when I double click on photo, I get message ‘`image is currently unavailable’

It is also showing placeholder thumbnails for the images in folder which was used for copying photos after connecting the camera. It show metadata for them also.

I am using 2.6.0rc0~git57.1656e14bd from opensuse dep repo on ubuntu 18.04

I just checked updates and there is no new version available yet.

No need to check for updates, from what you described I bet you’ve deleted pictures from outside darktable. The pictures are still referenced in the database, so you’re seeing them in the lighttable. Never ever play trick to darktable by moving/deleting pictures using the OS’s file explorer.

The solution has been given numerous time, so there is hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t delete anything.
Even if I had deleted files, it still doesn’t explain why it shows the same 788 files when I click on folder with 16 images.
I never imported images from media card directly.
I use Rapid Photo Downloader to import photos.
Somehow Darktable picked and imported photos directly from temporary mounted folder.

The solution has been given numerous time, so there is hope

Would you please let me know the solution?

Thanks.

edit
So I moved ~/.config/darktable to different place and after starting it is not showing ghost thumbnails anymore. In collect images it only shows top level folder and there is no icon to click for traversing directories below it.

Something is not right. Maybe there is some preference somewhere which I am not aware of.
Before removing ~/.config/darktable/ I could see child directories but now I can’t .

There is a script you can run against your database to clean images: darktable/purge_non_existing_images.sh at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Thanks @paperdigits
I just updated to 2.6.0rc0~git75.931903a4a and it has resolved all the issues I had. Looks like it was a bug.