Install plugin in flatpak Gimp

Hi

How can I install GMIC as gimp plugin when using Flatpak Gimp?

If I put plugin in var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gimp.GIMP/x86_64/stable/1fcb2c783cf61e22ca6ed03df9f95d59785d5cbd668b50f9765693956f1eedeb/files/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt

I get following message

Gtk-Message: 07:14:36.490: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
/app/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3_threads.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gimp-2.10: LibGimpBase-WARNING: gimp-2.10: gimp_wire_read(): error

I searched apt search libfftw but got nothing in results.

How can I fix this issue?

For plugins that require a binary, there currently isn’t a solution. The GIMP team & flatpak team are working on extension points for plugins: Where should 3rd party plugins install? · Issue #22 · flathub/org.gimp.GIMP · GitHub

For now, you could use the GIMP AppImage, which includes GMIC and a few other nice plugins by default.

Thanks for quick response.

The GIMP team & flatpak team are working on extension points for plugins.

The truth it that at the moment nobody is working on this and help would be very welcome.

I installed Appimage from https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/download/continuous/gimp-git-2.10.5-20180809.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage

I still don’t see GMIC option under Filters menu.

You need to download the AppImage that has “with plugins” in the file name.

I read your comment and downloaded latest as I thought it includes gmic. :smile:

Downloading with plugins now

I just installed https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/download/continuous/GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.9-withplugins-20181129-x86_64.AppImage but still can’t see any of the added plugins.

There doesn’t seem to be any settings to enable/disable them.
Something probably broken in my system or gimp appimage

Edit1:
I just tried 2.10.7, 2.10.8, 2.10.9 but I am getting

~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.10/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt: error while loading shared libraries: libgegl-0.4.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If I search in repos there is libgegl-0.3 available but that also didn’t fix the issue.

Edit 2:

After deleting ~/.config/Gimp-AppImage dir, I can now see GMIc in menu with Gimp 2.10.8 AppImage.

1 Like

Did you do chmod a+x gimp.appimage?

1 Like

Of course, that’s the first thing to do.