Installed 7.8 and get Warning about Locale ???

I just now installed digiKam version 7.8.

When I went to start the new version, I get a warning that I do not understand.

“Your Locale has changed since this album was last opened.
Old Locale: System, new Locale: Windows-1252 etc, etc, etc”

This makes no sense to me whatsoever; I have not changed anything; I have no idea what Windows-1252 is.

The notice said that if I was unsure to click NO, so I clicked NO and the program did not start.

What is “Locale” ?

What should I do ?

The notice said that some of my filenames may no longer be found in the collection.

I have no idea what all this means; I am afraid to go any farther as I do not want to have to start all over again.

Please advise.
Thanks.

Mysterious digiKam Notice_2022-10-07_195504

This is the message I am getting.

Well, something has changed somewhere (normally, computers don’t change spontanuously). That does not mean you changed something, though.

Anyway, if you only have filenames with plain ascii characters (English), and , ‘_’, ‘-’, you shouldn’t have a problem (so you can click “Yes”). If you have accented characters like ‘éèàç’, you should be ok as well. With less common accents (Eastern European languages) you may end up with files Digikam won’t see, and this is almost guaranteed if you have names with foreign alphabets (Greek, Cyrillic, etc).

That “windows-1252” is what’s called a codepage, or a table indicating which character corresponds to a given 8-bit value.

1 Like

Ignore the warning, it has no further impact on the function. A very old Qt bug has been fixed and now returns the actual Windows locale.

1 Like

Thank you !
For us not so techie types, maybe a notice about this near the downloads or on the description page; as, I bet I am not alone in not knowing just what to do.