invalid TIFF directory, tags are not sorted in ascending order

Hello All,

when I open a TIFF exported from Darktable, I get this message.

I think it is just a warning, however, it would be nice to get rid of it.

Thanks for your comments!

-Gian

Welcome to the forum! I think Software would be a better main category, with both gimp and darktable added as tags.
Processing is usually used when you have a question about how a certain look can be achieved.

thanks, Kofa, I edited the post

1 Like

I got quite a few hits, but didn’t find a quick and easy fix:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tiff%20directory%20tags%20sorted

I can’t reproduce this exporting a NEF to a TIFF in a recent dt build. If possible, can you please attach an example?

Just a thought it might depend on the libtiff version used for the builds.

1 Like

K1II1675.tif (1.1 MB)

a small crop for testing

strange, this one doesn’t give the error… might be the size?

no… suddenly everything works… can’t explain what happened…

sorry for the nuisance…

well, no, it comes out again, very strange…

Screenshot from 2021-07-01 17-38-30

I think this comes only from the Pentax MakerNote, the tags looks pretty weird there when I look at them w/ exiftool… Furthermore, if I try to look at them w/ exiv2, I get:

Error: Directory PentaxDng with 29440 entries considered invalid; not read.

We need to establish if this is the case w/ the original raw already (in which case this is Pentax’s problem), or dt/exiv2 is somehow messing the MakerNote up when exporting. Can you try running exiftool -a -u -g1 -H and exiv2 -Pktx on your original PEF/DNG please and compare to the same commands on this TIFF file?

If latter is the case, as @darix hinted it could also depend on on the exiv2 version your dt is built with: e.g. something related might have been fixed since.

I think I reproduced this with a recent development build of dt using the most recent 0.27.4 version of exiv2 as well… I used K-1 Mark II samples from RPU, and it seems the problem only occurs on the DNG input, but not the PEF…

These commands output a ton of info… it’s hard to compare!
Is there something specific to look for?