invert the "Detail" and "Color" tabs

In everyone’s opinion:
Do you think it is interesting to reverse the “Detail” and “Color” tabs?
I usually deal with sharpness last. In my development I always go from the “Exposure” tab to the “Color” tab and at the end of the development I come back to the “Detail” tab.

-------------------------------fr----------------------------------
A l’avis de tous :
Pensez-vous qu’il soit intéressant d’inverser les onglets “Détail” et “Couleur” ?
Je traite généralement la netteté en dernier. Dans mon développement je passe toujours de l’onglet “Exposition” à l’onglet “Couleur” et en fin de developpement je reviens sur l’onglet “Détail”.

I personally think, if you ask 100 people you will get 200 different workflows. I find something like that is too subjective to base the order of modules on it. The current order will probably be the way it is out of “RT tradition”, and I think people are pretty okay with that.

5 Likes

I would think ultimately, assuming sufficient demand exists, the way to best accommodate this preference is being able to drag the tabs around in the UI. But that may or may not be feasible given the UI framework (GTK?) and / or implementation effort involved.

That’s not the factor. This will happen only if somebody implements it, regardless of the demand :slight_smile:
I don’t think it would be that hard, but perhaps tedious…

2 Likes

Regardless of the fact that long ago I played with C (and still find it interesting*) considering my non-existent C++ skills, it would for me definitely be hard. Probably tedious, too! :slight_smile:

* although as we know, C != C++

I believe I somewhen read (years ago) that a “favourite module” function was planned for RT. But looks like it was nothing more than an idea. (or me getting something wrong [or fake news])

It is already created but it is not yet part of/merged into the main development tree: Favorites preferences [the github - merge request].

I’ve merged it locally and have been successfully using it since about a year now.

EDIT: Just checked and this functionality is actually part of the auto build appimage.

1 Like

Oh, nice to see. Windows version doesn’t have this fancy stuff yet. Thanks for the info.

Darktable has a lot of ability to customise and reorder the module groups. This is a nice feature, but since it doesn’t change the quality of the final edit and I doubt the developers and maintainers of ART and RT will see it as a priority. This is no deal breaker to me for using either program as the editing tools and not their order are most important. Still it is nice to hear different viewpoints so the developers can get guidance about how the users feel. Again thanks to @agriggio for your work with ART and the nice GUI you have put together.