Invoking RT from within GIMP for opening RAW files

I am using GIMP 2.10.6 and RT 5.4 on Ubuntu 16.04

I was trying to set up these progams such that I could open a .NEF file from GIMP via RT (the way GIMP would do that with UFRaw or DT). I could not make GIMP do that. The Import Images section in the GIMP preferences appears to allow only Darktable as the RAW file editor presently, with no possibility of replacing it with RT. On the other hand, if I open a .NEF file using RT, then RT can be configured to take the generated tiff file to GIMP. So I am able to do what I want to do by starting with RT instead of GIMP. The RAWpedia site referred to an RT plug-in for GIMP but I could not locate one.

So, am I right in concluding that presently GIMP 2.10 does not have the capability (or Plug-in) for processing or importing RAW files from within GIMP by opening RT automatically? (i.e. without having to first explicitly invoke RT and then make it take the image to GIMP?)

Isn’t it distributed with GIMP?

My GIMP snap seems not to have this entry for RT… Attaching a snapshot below.

But… the plug-in folder seems to have a file entry for the RT plug-in… So now I may have to find a way to insert that entry in the preferences dialog. Hmmm… may be I can edit the preferences file outside ? Will explore. Thanks.

Interesting that it isn’t there. Where did your GIMP come from?

I am not really a gimp expert but it looks like the source has been in gimp for quite some time:

You will need the plugin binary if it isn’t already there.

I installed a snap from within Ubuntu 16.04 this week. I think the publisher was snapcrafters/stable.

And thank you for sharing your preferences screen. That surely was helpful. Should find a way forward now. Appreciate your help.

You should raise an issue with the snapcrafters.

Yes, I will. Thank you.