Iris in the morning.

iris.4.pp3 (16.4 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

RAW: iris.3.nef (25.8 MB)

This shot was part of an ongoing experiment with my colour checker passport. The early stages of: When to [not] use gamut compression when creating DCP/ICC profiles from a ccp shot.

For those of you that would like to play with this shot in combination with the colour checker, here’s the RAW: ColorChecker Passport (v2) (26.9 MB)

And I used this DCP in the above edit: ccp2.dcp (989.3 KB)

This work by Jacques Dekker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

BTW Pixls keeps using the old names for some reason (iris.3 vs iris.4). Be assured, all the above files belong together and no mistakes where made.

7 Likes

Beautifull!

iris.3.nef.xmp (18.7 KB)

5 Likes

grafik

iris.3.nef.xmp (12.2 KB)

5 Likes

Like the somewhat cooler edit, even though the light was warmer (last part of the beautiful morning light and in the shade). The unrestrictedness of not actually having been there, I guess, not always a bad thing.

Also like your crop and framing. This was all about the flower for me and as such I did not spend all that much time with that part of the edit.

Yes, I tried to make it little cooler than it really was. Like very early morning light. I also had a look at the color checker but I decided against “reality” and just played with it :slight_smile: .

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.8.1

iris.3_02.nef.xmp (15.3 KB)

2 Likes

iris.3.nef.xmp (25.4 KB)

iris.3_01.nef.xmp (19.6 KB)

iris.3_02.nef.xmp (19.6 KB)

9 Likes

Lovely b&w rendition!

1 Like

Great photography!

My version…

iris.3.nef.xmp (24.4 KB)

Darktable 3.9.0~git1494.e4628ef4-1

@apostel338 I enjoyed your take. It is like a party for the eyes. :partying_face: However, the top part is awkward and distracting due to the small headroom and the dark clumps above and below the line border.

1 Like

Both are really nice, but I especially like the B&W version.

There’s one small thing, best visible when looking at it full sized: There’s a small halo around the flower (top part). This seems to be caused by the soften module. Not really visible when viewing screen size, unless you know it’s there.

Anyway: Great edits!

@Jade_NL “You are correct, Sir!” Like Ed McMahon uses to say to Johnny Carson. :wink:
I tweaked it a bit.

1 Like

iris.jpg.out.arp (11.6 KB)
ART

2 Likes

As mentioned in my first post: This was/is part of an experiment and the above edit was done using the defaults when creating the base profile. That default one uses strong gamut compression, not sure why that is the case to be honest, it might help in certain situations but it turns out that this is not my first choice.

I made a ColorChecker Passport (v2) + DCamprof based script that creates 3 different DCP profiles from an initial tif, one for each available and relevant gamut compression (none, adobergb and adobergb-strong). This way I can choose the one that fits the scene best.

Here’s the same image but now with a colour profile that is based on my experiences this far and that fits better to my camera and this situation.

iris.5.pp3 (22.3 KB)
iris.5.dcp (989.3 KB)

I prefer using DCP profiles due to the flexibility they have while using them, but for those that cannot use them, I just created the ICC equivalent: iris.5.icc. Even though the same json input file is being used this one is a tad darker overall compared to the DCP.

1 Like

iris.3.nef.xmp (19.2 KB)

2 Likes

Working on learning diffuse or sharpen.

darktable-3.9.0+1708
iris.3_17.nef.xmp (18.9 KB)

2 Likes

Decided to push things a little and go for a saturated colors look. The main effect is from using a LAB adjustments CC curve.

Using Rawtherapee 5.8:
iris.3.nef.pp3 (11.9 KB)

Only a little? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Output with some WIP Julia bindings for libraw, I think my demosaicing isn’t quite right but I kinda like the look :