Is it possible to 'live-import' data from a JSON file or API endpoint?

I would like to build a motion graphics ‘display’ for my company (a software/web dev company) that displays Google Analytics info, Github metrics, maybe photos from a specific Slack channel, heck, even the weather - is it possible to create a project that more or less does this using Natron? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Natron forum! You can use the python API to read an external json, build a Natron graph, and even render it. Actually it would be nice to have a small tutorial about that in the documentation. I don’t remember if Natron comes with pip preinstalled, but you can execute the get-pip script using Natron to install it and then install any external packages, or use PYTHON_PATH to point to a local python 2.7 site-packages directory.

1 Like

Great to know! This is more of a general video editing question than Natron-specific, but suppose that video needed to be constantly live-updated. IE, maybe it would loop between screens - an analytics screen, then an image gallery screen, then back to the analytics screen. But by the time it looped back to the analytics screen, the analytics would be different. What would be the typical way to approach that sort of setup? Maybe establishing a seamless loop point, then automatically re-rendering the video in the background between loops?

I am not a video expert, but I did some basic broadcasting for video game tournaments. I would pre-render the video compositing and have the analytics display on top using something that is more tailored for animations (like HTML5/web stuff), there you can have the logic to update/retrieve the data.