Is Lensfun dead? [It is not, my mistake]

Hi, is Lensfun dead?
There’s no update on the bug-tracker/feature-request since October last year, and last official release from 2015.

Besides that, all my lenses are already in darktable’s database but my camera isn’t. It’s a Nikon D5600.
I’ve been selecting manually the D5500 in the lens correction module since it has the same crop factor. But when I do this, although is detected, I have to select the lens manually and it’s a pain scrolling thru the menu.
So, is there a way I can modify the local database of darktable so I can include my camera?

Thanks!

(I have darktable from pmjdebruijn PPA on Ubuntu 18.04)

Certainly not dead, just feature complete.

You can issue a command, I think lensfun-update-db or something like that to update the lens database.

The database is updated outside of the code.

I was hoping more of a XML I could edit, like noiseprofiles.json, since the feature request of adding the Nikon D5600 is from November 2017 and it is still “open” like everything past October 2017.

https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun has activity and in the data folder there is a lot of XML

1 Like

You can always add it locally in your user directory till someone will add it upstream. Here is an example:

cat .local/share/lensfun/mil-sony.xml 
<lensdatabase>
    <camera>
        <maker>Sony</maker>
        <model>ILCE-7M3</model>
        <model lang="en">Alpha 7 III</model>
        <mount>Sony E</mount>
        <cropfactor>1</cropfactor>
    </camera>

<lens>
        <maker>Sony</maker>
        <model>FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM</model>
        <mount>Sony E</mount>
        <cropfactor>1.0</cropfactor>
        <calibration>
           <distortion model="ptlens" focal="16" a="-0.01" b="-0.02" c="-0.039" />
        </calibration>
    </lens>
</lensdatabase>
1 Like

Oh, now I see my mistake. from the Lensfun website I was directed to sourceforge not github.
Sorry!

1 Like

Thanks! That’s what I needed!

That’s true that tickets stay open on the “main” Lensfun repository Lensfun download | SourceForge.net . If not dead, this repository seems at least sleeping.

So as @asn suggested make your own corrections locally. For D5600 copy the D5500 data (same crop factor) waiting for a possible correction upstream.

1 Like

I think a bug can be opened here: Issues · lensfun/lensfun · GitHub

1 Like

It seems devoted entirely to calibration request :hushed:

Because there are a lot of them. The project is active. At least there is a discussion going on in the pull request I created.

They accepted the request

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for contributing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@asn already commited. You are right. Much more reactive on github :grinning:

It might be worth raising a ticket, (on the github site), requesting an update to both the main website & sourceforge to redirect people to the github site!