Is using the command line fast than using the GUI for batch processing?

Hi Everyone,

Thought I’d ask here. I’m using magic lantern to do much of the work with setting up the camera etc.

I’m processing a bunch of images for a time lapse, the basic settings remain in place for the camera, ie aperture, white balance.

For the most part I see that I really only have to process the first image, get the look I want right and then apply this throughout the whole of the set, where the light remains fairly constant.

My question comes down to one of work flow processing. If I have 300 images in RT to process I simply copy and paste the profile through each of the images in RT and then send that to the queue for processing, start it and let it run.

I was wondering though is doing this at the command line might be quicker? IE create the pp3 profile, and then use that against all the images in the directory.

I can’t see that it would be that much quicker, and in terms on convenience, it would be marginal as the same computer is doing the processing so I’m still hit with the processor working on the images.

Hi @plaven

Starting and closing RawTherapee takes time, so you want to avoid doing that unnecessarily. That means if you want to process more than one file at a time, do so using the batch queue - don’t write a script which loops through a collection of images invoking RawTherapee on each.

Processing a queue from the GUI should be as fast as from command-line. I have not measured it though.

Especially if you use flat field files to remove dust spots or correct vignetting because they have to be loaded and decoded each time you start rt.

Hi @Morgan_Hardwood

Given that I’ll open RT to edit the first image, then check through the various files and adjust the editing, ie where the ISO ramps up and I want to do more with the noise reduction, then the cost of opening RT is already borne, hence it’s just a matter of sending the flies to the batch queue and let it run.

My thought was more along the lines of edit the files save the pp3 then run it from the commandline, but I see little point in that process in the workflow.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm… I really must get around to setting that up some day! :confused:

Starting it from the command line is what I was referring to - it takes time. Maybe just a second or three, but time nonetheless (more if, as @heckflosse wrote, you use flat-fields, dark-frames, etc). If you want to process thousands of photos a day and want to invoke RT on each image individually, those seconds will add up.

One thing which I like about using the command line is copy and paste. You cannot copy and paste your hand movements whether you use a mouse, a touch screen or a digital pen but you can copy and paste command prompts.

Hello, the current rawtherapee 5.4 does not even have command line options for batch processing pictures. In my opinion this is a serious regression.
With the previous version, the one that supported options
-o outputfile -p pp3file -Y -c rawfile
I almost never converted raw to jpg while running interactively rawtherapee: when I was finished editing a raw picture, I just quit rawtherapee, thus auto-saving a .pp3 file, and immediately started to edit the next picture. When I was done I started a script (I can share it if needed) that did all the conversions in background. A little time wasting for restarting rawtherapee in background every picture was immaterial.

Unfortunately this does not work any more with 5.4, which means a lot of time wasting until the conversion is done interactively from within rawtherapee. Please developers, restore the command line options!

All the best, and keep up the great work!
Nick

They’re there, @nicola.manini. Which OS are you on and what have you tried?

Nobody do that when processing a lot of photos
Two ways, either put the file in the batch queue or use the command line rawtherapee-cli.
No great difference in speed. the cli can be a little faster but I did’not measure.
for cli help use -h option

Why you quit Rawtherapee. when edit is finished, put in queue, Just edit a new photo and so on. When all photo edited, start the queue.
It is faster than a script.

Thank you gaaned92, I had not noticed the new rawtherapee-cli! That’s perfect.
Thank you for all your kind suggestions!
All the best,
Nick