It's good, really...

Last night I was invited to photograph a dance performance by a choreographer friend. I shot about 210 photos under two rows of fairly ugly ceiling

lights and threw out about 75 using fast raw view before importing them in dt. I created two directories since I would possible make different decisions on B&W versus colour versions.

Anyway, it was late, I was tired, I just highlighted every thing and double clicked my style “filmicBWtone”… it does a manual colour balance and reduces to B&W using channel mixer. It opens exposure but doesn’t do anything, then it applies my somewhat peculiar FilmicRGB settings.

Bang, just like that 50% or so were done. I threw out a bunch more shots because they were artistically not-quite-there (arm in front of face, wrong facial expression etc. Another 25 mins dragging the exposure slider up & down a little and we were 75% good. The last ones were improved by rather minor local twiddles with the tone curve.

All done with a local Windows build of 3.1.0. No dramas. Happy.

15 Likes

Positive feedback, that’s refreshing ! Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Hi @anon41087856,

Imho one could think that all the questions and misunderstandings you receive regarding filmic and linear workflow can be understood as negative feedback. At least I for myself (and I think for many more users) can say that this is absolutely not the case. I am absolute amazed about the results which can be achieved with the new way to work in filmic. But as many humans we are used to use the way we are used to (in German we say Gewohnheitstiere). And as far as I understand one has to throw away some basic concepts many of us have been used to. And besides the new modules there is still a ton of additional modules which should be ignored in the future afaik. So many of us who are asking are some kind of unsafe how to do and how to learn it the best way from now on.

Long story short: amazing work from you and also amazing will from your side to teach all of us. At all this should be understood as very positive feedback :smiley:
Thanks
Joe

14 Likes

Actually, I cancelled by Adobe Lightroom subscription earlier this week, and I went back to redevelop some of my older photos from the past year. I noticed that the base curve resulted in some pretty awful looking photos, and replacing it with filmic + Color balance + local contrast brought them so much better. So, your work on the RGB linear pipeline, and the excellent lectures you have put on YouTube, are all very much appreciated!

8 Likes

Could you please explain what you did here.
What’s “fast raw view”? A special tool?

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/

Comes from the same people as RawDigger

https://www.rawdigger.com/

It’s not open source, but it works and the price is reasonable.

Le ven. 17 janv. 2020 à 14:01, EspE1 via discuss.pixls.us noreply@discuss.pixls.us a écrit :

I can only confirm what the previous posters mentioned regarding development results and speed. But, in addition, his work also greatly improved my understanding of the color workflow. After switching to DT and watching/reading Aurélien’s videos, articles and posts, I realized that lots of things about the color workflow were rather unclear to me (despite having read for example the book by A. Rodney). For example, the background for the use of the channel mixer to bring back very saturated blues (see Aurelien’s post DT for dummies hardcore edition) wasn’t clear to me and I started searching what it actually does. Finally I stumbled over this very interesting article about color workflow in cinema by Christophe Brejon (here) which makes Aurelien’s drive to a linear workflow clearer to me.

2 Likes

Anyway, it was late, I was tired, I just highlighted every thing and double clicked my style “filmicBWtone”… it does a manual colour balance and reduces to B&W using channel mixer. It opens exposure but doesn’t do anything, then it applies my somewhat peculiar FilmicRGB settings.

I’m always curious to see how other people do things, would you be willing to share your RAW/XMP file? (and no worries if you don’t want to, just thought I’d ask).

Sure. It seems I was more tired than I thought… I applied filmicrgb AND base curve. So there you go. Here are the colour and B&W xmp’s
_IMG3945c.DNG.xmp (6.1 KB) [_IMG3945.DNG|attachment]_IMG3945.DNG.xmp (7.0 KB)
Is there some way I can post the dng as well, without being a pain to the website?

Just drag and drop the dng on the post editor window.

I was more worried about the ethics of slapping a 30MB file on the site.

Here’s a dropbox link:

1 Like

The ethics are good. We are prepared to host a lot of data :slight_smile:

Dans ce cas…
_IMG3945.DNG (34.7 MB)

1 Like

Thank you!

Merci beaucoup!

Is this a Play RAW where everybody can post his own versions?

You might like this Complete_Raw_Culling_Workflow_Tutorial_with_Images.pdf (7.0 MB) if you are curious about Graham’s post @GBB29

1 Like

I don’t know the practice of play raw etc.

Anyway, it turned out that I sort of accidentally lied, since my version of dt3.1.0 has this interesting bug where it applies the basecurve even with it disabled. So I thought I should copy an xmp without a basecurve…_IMG3945.DNG.xmp (7.0 KB)