Keeping Gamma correction modifications in BnW module

Hi all. I’m new to Rawtherapee and hope this is just a simple fix, i’ve tried reading around it with no luck yet. I’ve got an NEF file that I’m converting to black and white via the Black and White (BnW) module in the colour tab. I’ve taken the B Gamma down to around -10 for a slightly warmer black and white, however when i save it (using the little hard disk icon at the bottom-left of the preview image) only the un-Gamma corrected BnW image is saved. So i don’t get to keep the B Gamma corrected image. I’m saving as a JPEG (8-bit). I hope i’m not repeating a thread, love it if someone could help. image below shows what i want to save (on the right) vs what i am actually saving, for some reason. Thanks, Ed

I have the development build RawTherapee dev 5.4-409-g99caa76f7 and this issue does not arise in this version. I could save the toned BW image (if I want to). May be you can try some development builds?

'ello, myed’urts, and Welcome!

I have a hunch that there can be another explanation to your problem.
Could you please send a screen dump of your RawTherapee – just like
the one above (tab 3 = Color) but with Colour Management expanded
so that everything under Output Profile is visible?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hey Claes, thanks very much for your reply, and the welcome :slight_smile: below should be the correct screen dump

Thanks again!
Ed

Hi Shreedhar,

Thanks for looking into this with me, I’ll give the dev builds option a go if it turns out to be more than just my having the incorrect settings in use. Thank you :slight_smile:

Ed

‘evenin’, Edward,

Thank you.
a) I was wrong :frowning:
b) @shreedhar most probably is right!

Do you know how to obtain a more modern version of rt?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Please upload the NEF + PP3. The forum should allow you to attach them to a post, but if it doesn’t then use https://filebin.net/

Sorry for the delay, i’m back! can you tell me exactly what you mean, I should upload the original NEF file to here, and also the saved version with the processing parameters of when i edited it?

DSC_1051.NEF.pp3 (11.3 KB)

Thread moved to RawTherapee category.

Hi @myedhurts

The issue you described was due to a bug in RawTherapee 5.4. It seems that black-and-white gamma correction wasn’t supposed to tone the image in the first place, so the preview is wrong. This is fixed in current development versions of RawTherapee, and we’re releasing RawTherapee 5.5 next month.

You can achieve a warming-up effect using the Color Toning tool or the L*a*b* Adjustments tool. Example screenshots follow.

1 Like