Launch and image load - in-progress indicator would be nice

When I launch RT 5.9, it takes awhile for the window to load. Same thing when I choose an image to load. The delay, around 23 seconds, is no problem, but it would be nice if the program immediately threw a spinning wheel or something onto the Windows desktop.

(I work from a work folder which never have more than three or four images, although the folder does have substantial subfolders of .dcp files and other resources.)

2 Likes

Operating system?

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2364

As far as I know, this is only an issue on Windows. And 23 seconds is quite extreme… are you loading a big folder to start with?
I agree that a splash window or some other indicator would be good.

Currently, there are 1095 files in 27 folders. As I mentioned, all but three or four of the files are in the subfolders. The subfolders contain resource files, not image files.

FWIW, on my 8 core AMD Ryzen 5600 laptop with SSD and 16 GB RAM, under Windows 11, RT 5.9 just took 17 seconds to start, reading a single folder with twenty-six 24mp CR3s (no subfolders). Not super slow, but not too quick. A splash screen or some kind of activity indicator would be nice.

2 Likes

The indicator is located at the left border and showing well the percentage of progress. Both, for reading the actual folder and showing the progress of exporting an edit…

@RTCharles: did you already try to run RT under “ultimate mode”? This would speed up a lot of functions in the pipeline.
(Its been discussed here: CPU and memory for winndows 11 - #8 by stuntflyer)

Edit: deleted one word

Yes, there is a progress indicator on the left border of the RT window - thank you Marter. Still, when launching RT, its window takes a long time to appear.

I’ll be on Windows 10 Home edition as long as possible.

Thats why i proposed to try the “ultimate mode in Win10”, to speed up RT.