Leaves in sunlight

I was working on this pic yesterday and am pleased with it, so it’s going in the lounge!
Leaves in late evening sunshine.
EOS 6D, Samyang 135 F2, 1/80s, ISO800, f wide open or nearly so I think.
Done in RT.

The colors of the leaves are lovely, but the background and composition leave room for improvement.

Thanks. What do you have in mind regarding the background please?

The non-green areas distract me, they look desaturated in comparison. If the sunlit green leaves were over a sea of darker green that would be more relaxing. The dark patches in the top-right and bottom-left also distract.

As for the composition, the large bright leaf seems too close to the top - it also feels uncomfortable.

I write this only to point out something which I took a long time to start noticing myself - I hope saying this helps you progress.

1 Like

Yes, thanks, I appreciate you commenting. It’s interesting you mention the dark patches, at least on the left - I wanted attention to stay central (or centre and right) so used vignetting off-centre to darken the left side!

@RawConvert, I do this a lot, fixate on simple things in interesting light. For what it’s worth, I tend to look for interesting lines. Here’s what a simple crop does:

I also try to put whatever passes for a center of interest on one of the thirds lines. Simple stuff, but I find it makes my images more interesting (well, to me, at least… :smiley: )

1 Like

I love the light on the leaves on the right-hand side. It’s hard to capture and reproduce that kind of light!

Thanks folks, all good stuff!