Lens spec display bug

Understood, but my sw building days are over :slight_smile: I can wait for the next release, whenever. TVM.

Alright, I’m glad this was just a simple misunderstanding then.
Btw, reading the most recent comment to the the github issue opened by @BarryThomas, it seems the problem might already have been fixed in the current master.

When it comes to making better info in certain Canon MakerNote tags available, yes, but not sure it’ll address the simplistic lensName() assumptions…

Fair enough. There you go then: Better documentation for Exiv2::lensName ? · Issue #2204 · Exiv2/exiv2 · GitHub

As commented over on Exiv2, the f1.8 lens exif data (through XnView) is not helpful:

I’ll drop the latest Exiv2 build into my ART and see what happens. Thanks guys for all the work on this - we users appreciate it.

B.

Ahh OK, it isn’t as simple as just renaming and dropping the exiv dll into ART and firing it up - I’ll stop fiddling about and leave the clever stuff to the grownups :slight_smile: tvm.

Robin has said that handling lens names internally was a design mistake and creates this type.of evergreen work, and that if rewritten from scratch, probably would not include such functionality internally, as it is beyond the scope of reading/writing metadata

2 Likes

My query over on Exiv2 has been closed so I’ll ask here… If clients using Exiv are already doing workarounds, is it time for Exiv to deprecate LensName and let clients do the work themselves? Or is the problem deeper than that?

This is a question for the exiv2 team, not something I can answer. From my part, I’ll add workarounds whenever something strange is reported. BTW, if you have a raw for the misidentified 50mm lens, I can check that too.

1 Like

Will do. I’ll check all combos I have and zip up the results. Tvm.

Edit: www.barrythomas.co.uk/EXIFtest.zip

R5BT8230.CR3
Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - correctly noted in ‘Lens Type’ using ExifTool
Camera: Canon R5 with RF-EF adapter

R5BT8229.CR3
Lens: Sigma EF 12-24mm f/4L IS USM - INcorrectly noted in ‘Lens Type’ using ExifTool
Camera: Canon R5 with RF-EF adapter

R5BT8228.CR3
Lens: Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM - INcorrectly noted in ‘Lens Type’ using ExifTool
Camera: Canon R5

See Canon Tags

It seems most RF lenses have LensType numerical ID of 61182 so when this is detected, another mechanism should be used.

See also updating LensType tag with exiv2/exiftool for Canon RF lens and the “hack” to make LensType fail so you can use another fallback…

1 Like