Lightroom App Update Wipes Users' Photos and Presets

Backup regularly and use FLOSS.

Adobe has confirmed that there is no way to get them back.

Ouch. Backups, backups, backups. If the platform doesn’t have a good backup solution, I personally wouldn’t use it.

But… Mistakes happen. We have had fumbles with software releases, it happens. The advantage that we have is that (1) you can report a bug freely (ever tried to report a bug to Adobe?) And (2) we don’t force auto updates or any of that kind of nonsense (3) you can fix the bugs yourself if you have the ability.

1 Like

Well, it’s not like FLOSS can’t have bugs like that. But yeah, I’m looking right now into backup/cloud image storage solutions.

The one with git-annex is very interesting.

Sure, no one wants data loss; perhaps they could consider incorporating backups into their apps and infrastructure.

They already have sort of a backup. They have an entire cloud storage solution for the user content. This if what I’m trying to figure out how to do for Darktable in another thread :slight_smile:
I think this bug only affects local storage not the cloud?

edit: Yeah, I can’t believe the users were paying for lightroom and didn’t use the cloud service :open_mouth:

I thought it was included in the subscription. I guess there are tiers now.

It is, you get 1TB of server space in the subscription :open_mouth:

Yes. Still sucks tho

1 Like

What types of disaster backup are you all using?

I’m currently evaluating options and for not I think the OVH cold storage seems to be quite reasonably priced… ingress for 1TB is ~12€ and storage for 1 TB is ~2,5€/month and they support rsync and ssh.