Lighttable Import (Linux) Error Opening Directory

Reordering your thoughts from your last post…

leads me to agree with @paperdigits. Why not use the PPA? You won’t need to change OS to something unfamiliar (Win 10 is not the Windows of 10 years ago), you won’t have to deal with the
confinement implemented in the snap, and you won’t have to deal with the bloat of what’s included in the snap.

1 Like

Ok guys forgive my late night frustration.

I wont fire up a win 10 instance. frustration talking.

ppa on 19.2 not opening.
repo deb not opening
plus the snap needs permission to read from wherever its pointed.

I’m at aloss to understand why DT isnt being allowed to run in mint 19.2.
I would use a snap for Dt. It seems to make sense for specific apps.

The snap opens so how do I tell this confined snap app to read outside the confinement?

And thanks for going along with me on this.

I know absolutely nothing about building snaps, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think that’s what @kyrofa was helping with in this post:

I did that but no success. Will try again.

Can you see why Im at a loss.

???

Ok re-installed snap DT, rebooted but not seeing my other drives

Everything is harder when it’s late and you’re frustrated.

As I mentioned before, I know nothing about snap packaging, so I would have to do some learning myself in order to be able to help you. But I’m pretty sure that those who do know a thing or two would want:

• the Mint release (19.2, you provided that)
  • the darktable snap release
  • the actual messages issued when it failed to access the removable media, or an indication that there were none
  • the actual output from executing the sudo snap connect darktable:removable-media command

They may want more, but that’s what comes to mind right away.

1 Like

Thanks for your help

Ill repartition my hard drive and move my media partition into the home, expand by 120gbs, cos I don’t have time for this.

Yes it’s late and I’m confused, but need to get on with stuff.

Greatly appreciate your help.

1 Like

@strom019 I’m sorry for the frustration. I’m not trying to be mean by confining the snap to only be useful in a few places, it’s just how snaps work. Snaps don’t give me the ability to say “Hmm, I’d say everyone only keeps their images in /foo/bar, thus I’ll make a snap that can only access that location.” They provide a few general purpose interfaces (e.g. the home interface allows access to $HOME, removable-media allows access to /media/ and /mnt/, etc.). I’ve added support for every interface that can be connected to expand where it can read/write, but snaps aren’t quite at the android level of permissions that I’d love to see (e.g. “hey, okay with you if the snaps writes <here>?”).

It means that, assuming you connect the removable-media interface, the darktable snap can read/write in the following places:

• Anywhere in $HOME (but not dot folders IN $HOME)
  • Anywhere in /media/
  • Anywhere in /mnt/

Is it possible that you’re not just trying to import stuff from another hard drive, but that you’re hitting this bug? I haven’t been able to figure out how that functionality works in darktable to properly debug why it’s not working.

2 Likes

Ive repartioned hard drive. 100gbs added to $HOME. Media files now here. Will stick with this whilst DT problems are being investigated.

This worked. Thanks